Jumping on the Homebrew World Bandwagon - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Creative Corner

Post your creative works here and show off your talent!

Jumping on the Homebrew World Bandwagon

Jumping on the Homebrew World Bandwagon

For some reason I decided to jump on the homebrew world bandwagon, because you can't have enough generic fantasy worlds. Mine started when I found a nice seed to work with in Fractal Terrains to work with (there are billions of them) and went from there. Fractal Terrains exports nicely to Campaign Cartographer and recently I found out just how nicely.

I have some ideas on what to do with this. Probably something for 5e. I'm going through some notes I have in a notebook for other world ideas to see what I want to incorporate. Once I get Universe Sandbox to play nicely I'll show the Spherical Projection in context. For reference, this is kind of what it would look like, just not with this world:

Those maps are awesome! Do you have any ideas of what you're going to do for the places in the world? I'd love to listen to you brainstorm if you need someone to shoot ideas around with

I'm not too sure as yet. I have a few ideas and I do have some notes in a coil notebook for other hombrew stuff I've played around with. I envision maybe a dozen countries/kingdom and the inside of the big "C" will probably have several port cities. I might add some tech to the world, though it would probably be something like 19th century (around the 1850s thereabouts) mostly because I want trains and a little bit of steampunk/gaslight fantasy. Of course since it's not Earth it doesn't have to follow the same rate of development in all areas.

I'm not too sure about races/species yet. I don't want to make the place too quirky with different stuff, but it would be nice to have some variety other than the typical demihuman races. I did toy with the idea of a world without humans though, but that might not go over very well. For the moment it's just me having fun with the software making maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimson View Post
I'm not too sure as yet. I have a few ideas and I do have some notes in a coil notebook for other hombrew stuff I've played around with. I envision maybe a dozen countries/kingdom and the inside of the big "C" will probably have several port cities. I might add some tech to the world, though it would probably be something like 19th century (around the 1850s thereabouts) mostly because I want trains and a little bit of steampunk/gaslight fantasy. Of course since it's not Earth it doesn't have to follow the same rate of development in all areas.

I'm not too sure about races/species yet. I don't want to make the place too quirky with different stuff, but it would be nice to have some variety other than the typical demihuman races. I did toy with the idea of a world without humans though, but that might not go over very well. For the moment it's just me having fun with the software making maps.
I've always thought massive global obstacles made for awesome game world material.

For example - what if there is an unending storm on the planet, and your populace worship it?

Those sorts of things always seemed interesting to me, when looking at a custom game world. Especially when you twist a possibly natural phenomenon into a supernatural.

For example; If not only there was a storm, but all who entered into the storm found themselves in a landscape that constantly shifted and altered - because at the center of the storm was a sleeping ancient dragon, who's uncontrolled magic protected the it, by creating the storm around it. The landscape in which the storm covered was then altered by the beast's dreams.

Massive things such as that, would alter the world depending upon the size of them. I also think they're pretty cool, and nifty to add.

I'm not too sure about a neverending storm. However, if you look at the temperature map that Sea within the C has the hottest spot on the planet, so it probably a hotbed for hurricanes, waterspouts and maybe just maybe an Eternal Whirlpool. If such storm activity had an unnatural origin, I'd probably be hesitant to go with a magical explanation, though I know at some point there will have to be dragons somewhere because I can't just run game of Dungeons and <Blank>

Quote:
I'm not too sure about a neverending storm. However, if you look at the temperature map that Sea within the C has the hottest spot on the planet, so it probably a hotbed for hurricanes, waterspouts and maybe just maybe an Eternal Whirlpool. If such storm activity had an unnatural origin, I'd probably be hesitant to go with a magical explanation, though I know at some point there will have to be dragons somewhere because I can't just run game of Dungeons and <Blank>
I figured a never ending storm was to much.

I was more trying to suggest that having a notable feature of such seems to make campaign worlds stand out a bit more in my experience.

You could toss in a Charybdis - and have hurricanes and such be explained as a result of the beast.

Edit: Anyway, I get why this type of idea is poor for certain settings, and I like what you've done so far. I'd love to see more.

There will definitely be sea monster. Take a look at the altitude map and see how deep the seas go. There's probably a lot of big things down there. Most shipping would travel along the coast with only the most brave or foolhardy attempting short cuts.

I'm kind of warming up to the big whirlpool idea. Not that players would encounter it more than once unless they are completely insane... So yeah they'd probably encounter it often. I had a weird idea about something Chthonic being down underneath it but not actually causing the whirlpool which is actually caused by fish. Billions maybe trillions of fish constantly swimming around whatever it is ten thousand leagues below, swirling around and around. The whirlpool itself would be about a mile in diameter and ships would succumb to it all the time because a daring fishing boat can get a year's catch in one go if they brave the edge and cast nets.

I'd like to take a different approach to magic, at least for items. I might take some inspiration from how Sword Coast Legends does it, where magic items all have names and each

Quote:
There will definitely be sea monster. Take a look at the altitude map and see how deep the seas go. There's probably a lot of big things down there. Most shipping would travel along the coast with only the most brave or foolhardy attempting short cuts.
So, basically all sailors on this world a crazy, sea hardened, adventurers. I like it.

Shipping and trade would probably be a poor investment.

Quote:
I had a weird idea about something Chthonic being down underneath it but not actually causing the whirlpool which is actually caused by fish. Billions maybe trillions of fish constantly swimming around whatever it is ten thousand leagues below, swirling around and around. The whirlpool itself would be about a mile in diameter and ships would succumb to it all the time because a daring fishing boat can get a year's catch in one go if they brave the edge and cast nets.
I think that is an awesome idea.

About the magic bit - why is it different than normal?

Estellia

I have a homebrewed continent based around a sleeping ancient dragon heavily attuned to the magic of the world, and while he sleeps a storm pops up around him that completely alters a world to have insane magical growth, alteration, etc.