Want to get into WoD - need advice - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Want to get into WoD - need advice

nWoD is a fairly intuitive system, and if you are coming from a D&D background then you probably won't have any trouble getting the hang of it.
I'd agree with Grizzly Layne and ArcaneDesperado; the free quickstart is the way to go to quickly get a feel for the system. The core rulebook is a great purchase though, well worth it if you decide that you like the game. I found that the core nWoD book was clearly written and had great production values - great art and snippets of evocative fiction too.

Aside from the core book, I'd recommend Mirrors and some of the setting-type books, like Chicago or Ghost Stories.
If you want to add a bit of supernatural power to the PCs then Second Sight or Hunter are good books to choose; or of course you could go for a supernaturals game and pick up one of the splatbooks (personally, I like Geist, Changeling, and Mage).

I think that it is a taste/play-style thing, but I found that in many respects GMing nWoD was harder that DMing (though my experience is purely from face-to-face games). If you can, try and play in a nWoD game first before running one (that helped me a lot).
I think that in a WoD game you benefit more from skills like learning when to cut the scene so that the pacing of the game doesn't slow down, and from letting the story develop in play in response to character actions, rather then according to a pre-conceived plot.

Thanks for all the responses folks, I think you are right - I need to play a game to get into the system and understand it and its tone. I will keep an eye open for a newbie friendly game, unless any of you know of any coming up?