Want to get into WoD - need advice - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Want to get into WoD - need advice

Want to get into WoD - need advice

Hi folks - I am keen to try to get into new Worlds of Darkness, but wanted some advice. Is the latest version of the Core Rules the 2004 version? Also what books would you recomend to a newcomer that wants to DM.

Thanks in advance

You're in luck, Drunken Zombie, because I am a WoD fan, have STed (Storytelled, our term for GMing) and know some quick nWoD resources to get you started.

First, go to DriveThroughRPG. If you don't have the money to buy the nWoD Core Rulebook (the one with the black ghostly shadow on the bluish street for a cover), download A Nightmare At Hill Manor, which provides a detailed starting point for getting into the ST system. Core rulebook most DEFINITELY has more detail, but these will keep you afloat.

Second, look up the New World of Darkness page on TV Tropes. Read through the tropes to give yourself an idea of the world WoD is set in. This isn't some D&D epic fantasy — it's dark, it's gritty, and it's cynical.

Definitely why I like World of Darkness.
People aren't superheroes, they are simply people.
Though, some last a bit longer then others...

But I've made so many good supervillains with the system....

Um, hardly. Have you actually seen my Gotham's Finest game? My players have enough trouble with 2-3 baddies running around the city. If I let loose the full rogue's gallery on them they'd be dead in a matter of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneDesperado View Post
Um, hardly. Have you actually seen my Gotham's Finest game? My players have enough trouble with 2-3 baddies running around the city. If I let loose the full rogue's gallery on them they'd be dead in a matter of days.
I can vouch for that...knocked out cold on my first assignment, and that wasn't even a big baddie!
Seriously, I think AD's point is that you can still make exceptional characters that seem normal/human. The system allows for making a character that is "super" in a real world setting without forcing suspension of disbelief down your throat. That's the appeal of nWoD; if you want high fantasy, that's great, you can play D&D.

To the OP: I would definitely recommend dropping the money for the core book. It's not that expensive as far as rule books go, and it's worth the investment. Even if you end up not liking the system, the book is peppered with narrative snippets that are well written. I sometimes just read those.
But the best way to get involved is to play. MW is a great place to learn, there are a lot of people here who are more than happy to help you out. Ask to be a reader on a few nWoD games if you haven't already, and read through the threads to see how it's played. I think you'll find the system pretty intuitive, once you get the core mechanics down.

One doesnt even need to spend the money on the full rule book. The link in my signature is to the free PDF rule-lite book released on the last Free RPG day should be enough to give anyone a general idea of the base rule set and how it functions. The system is highly flexible and can even be done to cover the high fantasy concept if you really want it to do that.

The hardest part I believe for any RP game is the character creation process. It has to be complicated because it needs to be a wide foundation to build up a storyline on, to allow complicated and detailed processes, even if a large majority of the time the GM wants to cut a lot of the extra details out to streamline his player's experience.

But I do agree. Playing is the best way to learn.