Quick questions and answers - Page 451 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Quick questions and answers

D&D v3.5 Eberron question!

I'm creating a character application for an Eberron campaign and I have a question that's burning in the back of my brain. I -think- I know what the rules are, but I wanna hear your input as well.

I know the Weretouched Master has errata on it, but it doesn't answer my question. My question to you is can the Wolverine Rage effect while shifting stack with Barbarian Rage? For example, Temper (the character) shifts at the start of combat and begins fighting. Pathetic Little Kobold A pokes Temper with a sharp stick. Next turn, Temper involuntarily rages due to her wolverine heritage, gaining +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, and -2 AC. Can she follow that up by using her Barbarian Rage (voluntary) and gaining the +4 Strength and +4 Constitution with another -2 AC? I really can't see any reason why I couldn't do this, as Rage and Frenzy stack with each other; so why not two different types of Rage?

Yes, she can. There is no limitation for having two different types of Rage.

If you have a completely invisible / undetectable ranged attack do you reveal your location when you make that attack? For "sniping" the rules presume that you can "attempt" to hide again but what if you never give away your position?

Clarification/specifics: Using Invisible Needle reserve feat with a sneak attack while under the effect of greater invisibility.

Thoughts?

If you ask me, it is a moot point. Why do you even need to bother with hiding if you are using Greater Invisibility? You only need to hide when your opponent can see you, and if he can see you then the sniping rules apply whether he can see your attack or not.

Technically, the penalties to the victim's Spot would be so extreme that even if you did 'reveal' yourself in the attack, the DM would need to pull the Zeroth Rule of Gaming card to get you noticed. UNLESS...your Greater Invisibility is countered in some way by your target, vis-a-vis See Invisibility or True Seeing or what-have-you. In which case, the normal sniping rules should apply, though still with significant bonuses in your favour given the situation.

And that's why invisible people still hide, you never know when someone is going to have a spell up that negates your invisibility.

Also why I invariably invest in a Lantern of Revealing as soon as I can afford it on any dungeon-crawl adventure. Given that the casters should be nowhere near the melee-ers, it doesn't interfere with them. Assassins can still get a little annoyed though.

This all depends...what does Invisible Needle do? If it conceals your arrow, then I agree with all of the points above...but remember that Invisibility (the spell) only affects you and touched gear. Once you let that arrow fly, it should become visible. For that reason I would probably (as the DM) roll spot checks, but chances that they will actually discern your location with those huge negatives would be...astronomical. They would have to actively search, and by the time they found you they would be pincushions. That's why Alchemist Fire was invented.

The amusing thing is, there are no rules I recall which point out that anybody who survives a sniper attack will automatically know where the sniper was. That the sniper may have moved after is only of secondary importance next to that, as he'll still be in the same general area and cannot have moved very far in the intervening time. As it stands, someone hit by a sniper attack has no idea where it came from under RAW. The DM basically has to improvise certain rolls and modifiers to keep things working even vaguely realistically. Not that some people are concerned with realism, but then again, these are the same people who only ever play uber-druids/wizards and don't even have the common decency of a regular munchkin to experiment with lower-tier classes for the giggles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus Fox View Post
This all depends...what does Invisible Needle do? If it conceals your arrow, then I agree with all of the points above...but remember that Invisibility (the spell) only affects you and touched gear. Once you let that arrow fly, it should become visible. For that reason I would probably (as the DM) roll spot checks, but chances that they will actually discern your location with those huge negatives would be...astronomical. They would have to actively search, and by the time they found you they would be pincushions. That's why Alchemist Fire was invented.
Invisible Needle creates a needle of force at-will (uses a normal ranged attack) so long as you have a Force spell still available to cast.