Cap and Trade - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Cap and Trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnistar
Peoiple are paying more for a service, not for the government. When you are paying more for a service, you are then able to change service, or reduce your dependcy on that service.
And you would be absolutely right, if we were talking about luxuries rather than necessities. In our society, electricity is a necessity. You can reduce the amount of that necessity that you use, but you cannot eliminate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnistar
The taxes for the <250k group are not changing. The price of their energy is, but that is between them and the energy company.
Increased costs on energy companies in the form of taxes will total (a White House estimated ) $200B per year.

The only way for these companies to survive will be to pass this cost along to the consumers. In truth, the cost will most likely be MORE than $200B, as the use of more expensive, alternate sources of energy will also trickle down to the consumer. If the companies 'chose not to' pass this cost along to the consumers, they will go out of business -- at which point they will be replaced by companies that are willing to pass this cost along, or until they are privatized by the government.

Assuming you don't live in Amish country, exactly how many people do you know that don't have electricity?

I didn't say that most people don't have electricity. I merely state that the vast majority of uses of electricity are luxury uses.

Save for cooking and cleaning, and depending upon your location climate control, uses of electricity are mostly luxury based.

And cooking... and Refrigeration... and vocational-related use of computers.

And we are actively working on plus-in automobiles. How much sense does it make to own an electric powered vehicle, when the price of electricity is set to skyrocket?

And note that I am not even getting into the costs of these things in manufacturing and other industries that affect our everyday lives.

Sure, we can spend our nights by candlelight, with no TV or computer if we chose -- but the necessity use of electricity far outweighs the luxury use of electricity.

What about commercial and industrial usage, which constitute roughly 57% of all electricity sales in the United States as of 2009?

Please note that cooking was already included in my post.

Vocational use of computers is seperate, but I think you're overestimating how much luxury use of electricity there is, and how much can be saved is someone wants to do so.

Whether the use of electricity is luxurious or not the point is that we need to do away with the current models of energy in favour of more productive and less hazardous ones. Obama didn't raise my taxes, so I don't think he broke any promises. Sound kind of like a fox commentary there Squeak. XD

In all seriousness though. I wouldn't mind paying higher taxes if it means improvement for society. We need to stop caring about our wallets so much and focus on getting human society as a whole back on track. Looking out only for #1 doesn't and will not ever cut it in a 21st century society when we have 21st century problems we are trying to solve with 20th century logic. The finite resources we are using are just that, finite and also hazardous. Its about time we stop trying to hold all of these old industries together like some kind of mass of decayed flesh and make something new and beautiful, we have to focus on innovation, not our pockets.

Eh, if that sounds odd it might be because i'm incredibly high right now, just in case.