The Walking Dead -Season 2 - Page 38 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

The Walking Dead -Season 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
Of course there is bias. People have preferences when it comes to stories and characters. Some people like things they can relate to and down to earth stuff, others like things they aspire to be like, etc. Everyone has bias involved in things like this.

My bias is against sword wielding warriors when the part of the story that interest me the most is the survival of ordinary people in a world that sucks.
"The walkers are after me!! AHHHH I need something to fight back with!! Wait, there's- no, no... I'd better not use that extremely sharp and deadly sword. The world has suddenly been populated with the undead, not ninjas, silly monkey. I'd better keep running until I find a more European weapon."

Quote:
My bias is against sword wielding warriors when the part of the story that interest me the most is the survival of ordinary people in a world that sucks.
Out of curiosity, have you read the comic? I'm not implying that it should make you like the character. And I also understand why you wouldn't like this, based on the amount of time one has actually been exposed to Michonne in the show up until this point.

I still think one shouldn't jump to conclusions based on 30 seconds of air time, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfeld View Post
"The walkers are after me!! AHHHH I need something to fight back with!! Wait, there's- no, no... I'd better not use that extremely sharp and deadly sword. The world has suddenly been populated with the undead, not ninjas, silly monkey. I'd better keep running until I find a more European weapon."
It's not about a katana vs broadsword or other European weapon. It's about things I find plausibly available. I don't know anyone who has a combat ready sword, they're all cheap display pieces that would suck in combat. Yet I have ~7 guns, a decent supply of ammo, a good sickle for taking out weeds on the edge of my property, a nice handy selection of axes, hatchets, sledgehammers, chainsaws, shovels, and even a nice 10ft long spear I use for fishing. Everyone else in the story is equipped with stuff they find in their garage, I find that stuff more engaging.

So when all the stars align and that character shows up I found her unlikable in this particular story. She would be awesome next to Bruce Campbell in a good zombie flick, not so great in Walking Dead.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, have you read the comic? I'm not implying that it should make you like the character. And I also understand why you wouldn't like this, based on the amount of time one has actually been exposed to Michonne in the show up until this point.

I still think one shouldn't jump to conclusions based on 30 seconds of air time, though.
Yeah, I read everything past their encounters with the other village. I don't want to give spoilers to those who didn't read it but you know what I mean.

It's not that I think people are dumb for liking her, I'm just expressing my opinion on the matter. She's not the typical thing I enjoy in the story. She's a hardened zombie killing warrior in a world of regular people.

Out of all the incompetent people who are ready to piss their pants, why would one single person who happens to take to the new lifestyle disturbingly well be anything but an interesting new character archetype to explore?

After all the incessant whining and soap opera-ish drama and "too dumb to live" moments of the last season, I'm ready to see a little badassery to up the ante.

Quote:
It's not about a katana vs broadsword or other European weapon. It's about things I find plausibly available. I don't know anyone who has a combat ready sword, they're all cheap display pieces that would suck in combat. Yet I have ~7 guns, a decent supply of ammo, a good sickle for taking out weeds on the edge of my property, a nice handy selection of axes, hatchets, sledgehammers, chainsaws, shovels, and even a nice 10ft long spear I use for fishing. Everyone else in the story is equipped with stuff they find in their garage, I find that stuff more engaging.
Guns are good, but are loud, plus rely on finite ammunition. Suppressors are not exceedingly common, plus not everyone knows how to make one that lasts.

The sickle would be awkward. Axes and hatchets are nice, but not as balanced as a sword for combat. Sledgehammers are even more unbalanced and heavier. Chainsaw: lol. Shovels are, again, not as balanced. Spears are good, but i'd prefer some backup when employing one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfeld View Post
Out of all the incompetent people who are ready to piss their pants, why would one single person who happens to take to the new lifestyle disturbingly well be anything but an interesting new character archetype to explore?

After all the incessant whining and soap opera-ish drama and "too dumb to live" moments of the last season, I'm ready to see a little badassery to up the ante.
Every population has it's hardened warriors, but that seems to be too unbelievable for some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azar View Post
Every population has it's hardened warriors, but that seems to be too unbelievable for some.
Cripes, your last few posts are awfully condescending for fans of the series who don't like a particular character. Internet misinformation, gender bias, boggles the mind, knee jerk reaction, inconceivable, biased against non-western weapons, and unbelievable...

I gather you're a fan of hers then? You make it so hard to tell... I have an opinion too but I'm not trying to insult you for liking her.

She breaks the mold for other characters in the series, some people like characters that break apart from the rest some people don't.

Quote:
Cripes, your last few posts are awfully condescending for fans of the series who don't like a particular character. Internet misinformation, gender bias, boggles the mind, knee jerk reaction, inconceivable, biased against non-western weapons, and unbelievable...

I gather you're a fan of hers then? You make it so hard to tell... I have an opinion too but I'm not trying to insult you for liking her.

She breaks the mold for other characters in the series, some people like characters that break apart from the rest some people don't.
I don't recall her too much in the comics, as it has been a while since I read them. How the live action version of the character will play out is a mystery at this point.

Really, the biggest things that come up are results of misinformation (or a lack of information), and failing to suspend disbelief. The latter of which, in regards to Michonne, is disproportionate to other characters and happenings in the series.

What am I failing to suspend? I just didn't like her...

Rambo would survive in zombie-world too and I despite enjoying those movies I wouldn't like him as a character in Walking Dead either.

Quote:
What am I failing to suspend?
The choice of weapon, for starters.

It's not about liking or disliking the character (from a personality standpoint, I didn't much like Michonne in the comic, but I still thought she was well-crafted and a great counter-balance for the massive amount of pussification some of the other characters brought to the group), it's about the reasoning behind it.

Being unable to suspend disbelief in this case is just odd and gives the impression of genre snobbery.