Thor and Captain America - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Thor and Captain America

Thor and Captain America

Okay, there are two comic book characters that I've been dying to make into D&D PCs - and they are Thor and Captain America.

I'm terrible at character optimization, so I was hoping that I could get some help from my friends on MW. Any ideas? I'm thinking Barbarian/Master Thrower for Thor and Fighter (maybe Crusader)/Master Thrower for Captain America.

Well, I can't speak for Captian America... but Thor is in Deities and Demigods 3e, page 192, and is a Barbarian 20 / Ranger 20 with a divine rank of 18.

I'm looking for PCs who will be modeled from these comic archetypes, really, not PCs who will literally be Thor and Captain American.

They're probably both some version of Tome of Battle classes and Bloodstorm Blade. Sadly I can't tell you more specifically than that due to my overwhelming distaste for ToB anything.

I know very little about Captain America, but I would argue Thor would be best represented by some kind of divine caster/stormlord seeing as he is the god of thunder and all; I say this since he's not just pummeling foes with his fists (there's a war hammer involved ) but he flies, plane travels, and has more or less unrestricted access to lightning bolts and while these abilities could be replicated with magical items, I think it would be disingenuous to force the character to have to use them. It would be necessary to change the javelin entry requirement and subsequent enhanced javelin abilities of the storm lord to "war hammer" but otherwise I think it would represent the thunder god fairly well.

Yeah, I thought Stormlord too for the Thor archetype. However, instead of the god aspects, I would like to focus on the warrior who can hurl a warhammer.

Thor: Barbarian with Power Throw feat. Maybe a class going for Master Thrower prestige.

Captain America: Your straight up fighter taking shield bash and shield combative feats.

edit: That is the simplest route I can think of going for both.

Thor: Look at the Hammer of Moradin PrC in Player's Guide to Faerun.

Captain America: What Baldor said, but add in the Ranged shield special ability from the MIC. Then tag on a custom synergy special ability called Ricocheting which gives you multiple attacks with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaguineapig View Post
Also, some way to make them return after being thrown. I think there's a magic weapon property that does that.
There is (Returning) though you can't make a full attack with it. You'd probably be better off taking Bloodstorm Blade as you'd get that property for free and beable to use it as part of a full attack. If you want to stick with an enchantment I'd probably make a +1 or +2 that requires the shield to already have Returning and allows you to make full attack with it (ie returns immediately rather than at the beginning of your next turn or however it is that Returning keeps you from making a full attack).