The Best Debuffer - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

The Best Debuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methin View Post
I wonder if Divine metamagic works with rebuke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Com.Divine
Divine Metamagic
Prereq: Turn or rebuke undead.
Benefit: (...) spend a turn or rebuke undead attempt to (...)
So yes, DMM works perfectly fine with rebuke undead.

Quote:
if i can get a few feat suggestions for a 9th level Dread necro i'd really appreciate it
Spell Focus (Necromancy), followed by
Make target of necromancy spells shaken. No save
Fearsome Necromancy. (Comp. Mage, p. 42) and
Reduce metamagic adjustment for necromancy spells 3/day
Metamagic School Focus (Necromancy) (CMage, p. 45).

The Corpse Crafter line (Libris Mortis, p.25ff) might well be worth it if creating undead is fine with the party / campaign.

Fell Drain / Frighten / Weaken (Libris Mortis, p. 27) are great debuff metamagics.

Residual Metamagic (CMage, p. 46) can give free metamagic.

Tomb-Tainted Soul (Libris Mortis, p. 31) or becoming a Necropolitan (Libris Mortis, p.114) allows for unlimited self-healing via charnel touch.

Tomb Tainted Soul isn't just a useful feat. It's practically an entry requirement.

(Greater) Spell Focus. Because unless you plan to go full nacho dip, it's the best way to make sure the debuffs stick.

Energy Substitution- more useful for wizards... but I like to grab Sonic. Because virtually nothing actually resists sonic damage. And hey, look, DNs get at least one decent damage spell per level (the inflict series is great since they can spectral hand it).

Fearsome Necromancy. *ANY* necromancer spell requiring a save also inflicts the shaken condition for 1 round. No save. It doesn't get much better.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boa...p?topic=2242.0

Also: Take the Visage familiar. Those things are just horrifyingly awesome.

so We had our first session with this new character and i will say the DM took some convincing. "Necromancer?!?! I don't want hordes of undead trolling around my game." after i reassured him that this wasn't going to be the case (believe me it took me a good two hours to do so) he acquiesced. Naners wishes me to convey her gratitude at the suggestions as she wholly enjoyed the game.

But did you tell him that with undead, unless your players are stupid and don't use them, you can make traps like this and not worry about loosing a player character?

To alleviate his undead qualms and still give her useage of her rebuke undead I recommend Ghosts, but in a mostly advisory/utility role. They dont take up any (physical) space and should be a nice roleplaying avenue. Think of any tv-show or book where the character can "see dead people."

Alternate proposal: assue him there will be no undead hordes because she will not cast Animate Dead, and use Rebuke attempts on Divine Metamagic or domain feats. I'm sure that will make things much better for everyone.

ya i pretty much explained to him that with DMM she would be using the few Rebukes that she got to fuel her MM spell casting. As for animate dead and the upgraded forms, she opted to not use them in favor of the debuffing necro spells with Fearsome necromancy. So far she hasn't figured out which meta spell feats to take other then fell frighten to stack up the fear, told her that if she really wanted to make the most of her spells and DMM she should consider grabbing heighten spell.

Naners asked me tonight if there were any PrC's that would both continue her spell progression as well as boost her ability to penalize the enemies. She mentioned liking stacking fear effects but was a bit concerned about facing things that may be immune to fear or mind effecting effects. Any thoughts?

Nightmare Spinner and Dread Witch come to mind. You can read more about them in the Fear Handbook.

Quote:
Naners asked me tonight if there were any PrC's that would both continue her spell progression as well as boost her ability to penalize the enemies. She mentioned liking stacking fear effects but was a bit concerned about facing things that may be immune to fear or mind effecting effects. Any thoughts?
PrCl-ing out of Dread Necromancer means loosing out on its class features, so there's going to be a trade-off.

Stacking fear:

Dread Witch (Heroes of Horror, p. 98): 4/5 casting class.
Auto-fulfill prereqs.
Class ability highlights:
  • +1 (+2) save DC on Fear effects (stacking with (Greater) Spell Focus Necromancy.
  • Increased caster level / free spell when under effect of a fear effect (with the ability to postpone the negative part at later levels)
  • Can affect creatures immune to fear with fear effects
  • Add [Fear] descriptor to one cast spell /day
  • Mostly useless Fear Aura (affects only creatures with 6HD or less), though the aura can be channeled into a panicking touch attack; number of uses based on Charisma
  • Reflect fear effects back to its source

Nightmare Spinner (Comp. Mage, p. 74): 4/5 casting class
almost auto-fulfill prereqs. Note: Requires Illusion (Figment / Glamer) spells to use some class abilities
Class ability highlights:
  • Bonus illusion spell slot / spell level
  • Fear immunity
  • Inspire Fear (make one target shaken; save DC and uses per day are charisma based)
  • Attempts to disbelief a figment / glamer causes shaken condition for 1 round (no save). Limited number of uses / day and can only affect one target once in 24 hours.
  • Fear effects cause non-lethal damage based on severity.
  • Mind-affecting, save-or-die fear effect 3/day; causes panicked on successful save.

Edit: Sneaky Solo is sneaky.

I'm a fan of Beguiler (the class, not race) here. Take the feat Unsettling Enchantment and Distract Assailent in one of your advanced learnings. After that consider Haste or a spell that your party will want up frequently. I once went through a Pathfinder game using 3.5 stuff with just myself and a friend. We figured that most of the early to mid game would be pretty easy to hit with mind affecting stuff, so we went with a Fear/Debuff based Hexblade and I played a Beguiler. We had tons of fun.