United States Third Presidential Debate - Page 10 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

United States Third Presidential Debate

I'm an aspie, so I usually don't notice or give much credence to things like demeanor or tone of voice. Content is everything. Romney spoke with confidence, but half the things he said made me wonder what world he's been living in for the last twenty years. It's like there's an alternate universe that American conservatives just pop out of every time election season comes around, where the Cold War is still on, Europe is a vassal state to the USA, and the Middle East is absolutely jam packed with jihadists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
He got love from his base, not the middle.
Probably because they were so relieved that Crazy Uncle Joe managed to go an entire debate without putting his foot in his mouth. And came across as knowledgeable (God only knows how he managed that one) and competent.
Or perhaps because Ryan crumbled under the pressure. He really didn't look up to it, and maybe Biden sensed it and closed for the kill.

I've often wondered how much stock
i.e. overall in the population rather than in the more reasoned climes of MW
people put in the debate performances. Anyone know of any studies showing any insight on this?

I'd hope people are basing their votes on policies and what is being said but I fear in the current (utterly ridiculous) political scene people are worrying too much about appointing a good talk-show host. This isn't just a dig at the US, although I do believe you have one of the worst examples of it, but politics in general seems to be becoming a scarier form of reality tv.

I'd love it if we could be in a world where a dry, tedious, but capable, beaurocrat would have a chance of being elected rather than a smile in a suit who's just a mouthpiece for whoever is currently paying them the most.

Romney lost on the Syria question, and it all went downhill from there, IMO.

1. Since when has arming militants ever worked out for the US? The last time they did that, they were arming a group called (if I remember correctly) Al Qaeda.

2. Syria is Iran's "gateway to the sea." Except that Iran has a coastline. And a navy. iran used to be called Persia. Guess why the water is called the Persian Gulf? I was a bit disappointed Obama didn't call him on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikul View Post
It's quite simple: the US are not some insulated, untouchable fortress that everyone else kowtows too. It's a country which needs international relationships as much as anyone else. Much of the rest of the world, including important partners of the US, apparently still doesn't view him as a credible president despite his doing very well in polls.
This lack of credibility is liable to translate itself to lack of credibility in international negotiations, which in turn won't be good for you because, like it or not, the US needs the rest of the world. And it probably won't be happy to be pushed around if that's what you mean by 'step on some toes'.

You're also always free to start a thread about the elections in France or Germany or the UK and give you opinion.
Let me rephrase myself: I don't see why anyone in the US thinks what the rest of the world's "general population" thinks about the US. Obviously we need good relations with other nation's governments, but what Joe Schmoe thinks down at the local pub really doesn't matter a whit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderhorn View Post
Let me rephrase myself: I don't see why anyone in the US thinks what the rest of the world's "general population" thinks about the US. Obviously we need good relations with other nation's governments, but what Joe Schmoe thinks down at the local pub really doesn't matter a whit.
Oh. You don't want to know what I think.
Ok. Have a nice day.

Ostensibly, the governments of democratic nations care what their general populace thinks, including 'Joe Schmoe down at the local pub'.
If, then, you care about the perceptions and positions of your democratic allies' governments, then you should care about the perceptions and opinions of those nations' people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wippit Guud View Post
Romney lost on the Syria question, and it all went downhill from there, IMO.

1. Since when has arming militants ever worked out for the US? The last time they did that, they were arming a group called (if I remember correctly) Al Qaeda.
Not technically true - al-Qaeda did not come into existence until 1988. OBL was one of a whole batch of irregular leaders in Afghanistan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Beck, Tweet
Glenn Beck ‏@glennbeck

I am glad to know that mitt agrees with Obama so much. No, really. Why vote?
If Glenn Beck just turned on Romney, Obama has already won.

Of course the real question is this:
The President announced at the debate that in the next week the US and Israel will undertake the largest joint military operation ever undertaken by the two countries together.
When romney was criticisng the president on Iran and their centrifuges, Obama's grin got really big.
Israel has, historically, bombed other middle eastern countries nuclear programs if they felt they were getting too close to having the bomb.
Ready for the October suprise?