United States Third Presidential Debate - Page 9 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

United States Third Presidential Debate

At this point aggravating the base doesn't really matter because they will vote for Romney no matter what. It's not like they'll switch their vote to Obama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merdle View Post
Biden got love for his aggro stance in the VP debate, and I think Obama has been trying to fine tune an aggression for himself since then.
He got love from his base, not the middle.

Another debate in Obama's favour; Romney was Obama's parrot/echo when he wasn't meandering off-topic to domestic policy in a desperate attempt to take some shots which were all soundly defeated. Again, it was a decisive win on style and substance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
He got love from his base, not the middle.
CBS' poll of undecideds begs to differ.

This is off my twitter feed which is probably gotten off some TV channel or another as it's not on the PPP website as of a few minutes ago but PPP has independent voters for "more likely or less likely to vote for them after the election" with Obama at 32% more likely, 48% less likely, and Romney at 47% more likely and 35% less likely.

EDIT: it's up now. Crosstabs at the bottom for the breakdown. http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p...ePoll_1022.pdf

Interesting. Independents think Obama won, but are still less likely to vote for him. That lends credit to Ben's stance on the aggressive debating tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
This is off my twitter feed which is probably gotten off some TV channel or another as it's not on the PPP website as of a few minutes ago but PPP has independent voters for "more likely or less likely to vote for them after the election" with Obama at 32% more likely, 48% less likely, and Romney at 47% more likely and 35% less likely.

EDIT: it's up now. Crosstabs at the bottom for the breakdown. http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p...ePoll_1022.pdf
The numbers quoted in the PDFed poll are definitely in Obama's favour.

It's all about the difference in % between more and less likely. In Romney's case it was 3%, in Obama's case it was 6%, while 'more likely' ratings were about dead even besides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merdle View Post
Interesting. Independents think Obama won, but are still less likely to vote for him. That lends credit to Ben's stance on the aggressive debating tonight.
Well, as long as you fire up the base more than you turn off independents it could still be a victory. What people say 10 minutes after a debate ends is going to be different than what they say 3 days later, 2 weeks later, etc. But it's still useful info to have.

Yes, there is definitely time for things to change. They will spend the next few weeks getting face time wherever they can. Interesting data though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderhorn View Post
Europe, for reasons I cannot understand, seems to think Americans care what Europeans think about America. When I'm told how much everyone else loves Obama, I always ask, "And how many of these people are voting in US elections?" Nobody asked me my opinion on Hollande, Merkel, or Cameron, I really and truly don't understand why I should care what anybody else's is about American politicians. I say this because the politicians we elect should be fighting for us, and doing what is in the best interest of America and Americans. If they step on some toes along the way and America is still better off for it, fine.
It's quite simple: the US are not some insulated, untouchable fortress that everyone else kowtows too. It's a country which needs international relationships as much as anyone else. Much of the rest of the world, including important partners of the US, apparently still doesn't view him as a credible president despite his doing very well in polls.
This lack of credibility is liable to translate itself to lack of credibility in international negotiations, which in turn won't be good for you because, like it or not, the US needs the rest of the world. And it probably won't be happy to be pushed around if that's what you mean by 'step on some toes'.

You're also always free to start a thread about the elections in France or Germany or the UK and give you opinion.