4 out of 5 DM's Do not like this PRC - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

4 out of 5 DM's Do not like this PRC

4 out of 5 DM's Do not like this PRC

So it seems alot of DM's really do not like the sandshaper prc

I really havent delved with the folks who said, no I just accepted it and moved on to other builds

but why do folks not like it, from a DM standpoint but love it from a player stand point?

I'd probably say no simply because I've never heard of it before, and therefore it's probably not from my list of approved sources. What source is it from?

My biggest issue with it is it's ability to create 2x5 foot walls five minutes before you want them. It is insanely bad for causing headaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolfer View Post
So it seems alot of DM's really do not like the sandshaper prc

I really havent delved with the folks who said, no I just accepted it and moved on to other builds

but why do folks not like it, from a DM standpoint but love it from a player stand point?
It is a well balanced PRC for spontaneous casters such as sorcerers which adds many useful and interesting spells to their spell list in exchange for one caster level at the beginning and another at level 6, I think.

DMs may not want to use terrain specific PRCs if their game does not take place around a desert, though.

Most DM's don't allow it because they don't have Sandstorm.

Those that do have it are well aware of how purely cheesy the class is. Especially for sorcerers. Oh look, I get a bunch of new spells known for free and some of them are pretty good. Anyhow, free spells. And Sand Shape is one of those troublesome, poorly defined abilities that sounds really neat but causes massive DM headaches. Plus you can turn into an ooze once per day and still cast spells.

Also, if you aren't running a wasteland game, the Sand Shaper doesn't really fit all that well. Few people run wasteland games.

Edit: Solo, stop reading my mind! Darn ninjas.

@Solo

True, but also you only need to wear 15 pounds of sand ala gaara in naruto, also you can modify it very easily to made into a geomancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leons1701 View Post
Most DM's don't allow it because they don't have Sandstorm.

Those that do have it are well aware of how purely cheesy the class is. Especially for sorcerers. Oh look, I get a bunch of new spells known for free and some of them are pretty good. Anyhow, free spells.
Lost caster level.

True. So not quite free. Of course, you do cast at one level higher after you stick 15 lbs of sand in your bag of holding. So all you're losing is one level worth of spells per day. A significant cost, yes, but not prohibitive considering the gain.