Quick questions and answers - Page 660 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Quick questions and answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithamar View Post
Wizards actually posted the whole template on their website: Dragonborn of Bahamut.
alright thanks as well hmm does sound like a bit of work to do then for a character especially for a background.

Using the rules for creating a new spell in d&d 3.5, can a sorcerer know more spells than the normal allotment?

No, custom spells occupy a slot in the normal allotment.

As far as the regular (not improved, not enhanced or what ever) selection of familiars go. How good is a cat?

For other information that might be relevant. My character is a female Beguiler (using the obtain familiar feat) in a game where the chief enemies are warforged. However fighting is not really that much of a focus. Enough so that she is actually not at all useless. She spends most of her time around the local towns skulking around and spying as well as manipulating people. Wands are not quite few and far between but are reserved for her own use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPQ_Purple View Post
As far as the regular (not improved, not enhanced or what ever) selection of familiars go. How good is a cat?
Depends on what you plan to use your familiar for. As a scout, it's pretty good, since it can hide very well, isn't out of place in towns and such and it moves as fast a human, unlike the other stealthy, inconspicuous familiar, the rat. It doesn't give you the best skill bonuses, but it's passable. It might technically be the best familiar in combat, but that's not saying much unless you plan on buffing it up generously (snakes and weasels might give it a run for it's money with their poison and attach, but cats get 3 natural attacks on a full attack). You lose out on some shenanigans by not having a talking raven (since they can talk, raven familiars can activate most magic items), or having a free Lesser Invisibility Purge in the form of a bat, but again, having a pet cat is more socially acceptable then having a bat or bird.

3.5 D&D - If my eagle animal companion for my druid advances in HD at 3rd level, does this mean his size increases also since 2-3 HD advancement in the monster manual says they are Medium size instead of Small?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintarion View Post
3.5 D&D - If my eagle animal companion for my druid advances in HD at 3rd level, does this mean his size increases also since 2-3 HD advancement in the monster manual says they are Medium size instead of Small?
HD increases from being an animal companion specifically do not increase the animal's size, because they are listed as "Bonus HD." Same with Paladin mounts (no size increase because it says Bonus HD).

EDIT: If you're looking for a big flier as an Animal Companion, at level 4 you can grab a Dire Bat, and at Level 7 you can get a Dire Hawk or Dire Eagle.

Related question: If a druid releases his animal companion, what happens to the bonus HD and tricks, etc.? Keep in mind that all that bonus stuff is listed as Ex (Extraordinary) rather than supernatural.

We may have released something outrageous into the wild.

EDIT: Sorry, I don't know.