Ask a Question Get an Answer! - Page 16 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Ask a Question Get an Answer!

Recently my friend and i have been looking in to disarming for a 3.5 campaign we're in the middle of and i came across the Disarming weapon enhancement (+2 equivalent). It appears in 4 books from what i could find and 3 of those books (A&E pg. 96, CW pg. 134, MoF pg. 138) it states
Quote:
If applied to a melee weapon, a Disarming weapon eliminates the opponents bonuses for weapon size and two-handed weapons (A&E/MoF also add +1 to the disarm rolls)
But in the Magic Item Compendium it states something different
Quote:
A disarming weapon grants you a +2 bonus on disarm attempts. In addition, oppo*nents cannot disarm you of this weapon
I was just wondering which one is the correct one, to me it seems like the only thing the one from the MIC one over a standard +2 enchantment is you cant be disarmed and that's just plain stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alski View Post
Recently my friend and i have been looking in to disarming for a 3.5 campaign we're in the middle of and i came across the Disarming weapon enhancement (+2 equivalent)...
The usual rule is that you go with the newest book.

I agree that it seems overpriced for what it does, but you can always just not use it, or ask your GM to either lower the cost or use one of the other definitions.

Ok, so I'm planning an Adeptus Evangelion game I'd like to run (preferably IRL with some of my friends, but I might run it here too), and while I can probably come up with enough horrible/terrifying Angels for them to get killed by, I'm having trouble creating inter-organizational conspiracies. I really only have two organizations besides NERV and SEELE, and I just can't seem to get any ideas for what their overriding goals are.

Skyline Technology is essentially a "defense" R&D company, and wants the Eva technology for themselves.

All I've come up with for the other company is that they manipulate some religious anti-Eva leaders into creating a riot.

Really I just can't seem to come up with very good intrigue-type background for the campaign, so any help in creating ideas would help a lot. And so you know, I've seen detective/crime shows, and watched/read Ghost in the Shell (and Neon Genesis Evangelion, of course), so I enjoy intrigue-based media. I just can't seem to come up with any of my own...

I'd advise you to work on the depth and quality of your intrigues, rather than the number. If you add national governments to the equation, you have all the organizations you need. What I would do in your situation, is to create a number of characters with shifting opinions & alliegances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomalak View Post
I'd advise you to work on the depth and quality of your intrigues, rather than the number. If you add national governments to the equation, you have all the organizations you need. What I would do in your situation, is to create a number of characters with shifting opinions & alliegances.
Cool, I'll do that. Thanks for the advice. Do you have any more advice related to creating quality intrigue and deception? One of my friends mentioned taking a single idea (like a logical solution to a large in-game problem), and twisting it into something zealotous or taking in a weird direction. I'll try working with his idea, as well as yours to see if I can come up with anything decent. Again thanks.

The best advice anyone can give you is this; whenever possible, react to the players' actions, rather than trying to take the plot your own way. This makes the players feel like they are the center of the game world - and they should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomalak View Post
The best advice anyone can give you is this; whenever possible, react to the players' actions, rather than trying to take the plot your own way. This makes the players feel like they are the center of the game world - and they should.
+1 to this. My post here goes exactly to that point--particularly, pay attention to the little things that the PCs and NPCs do almost without noticing, and consider how they can be tied together with an invisible string of backstory. A few of those put together, and *bam* you have an intrigue that's perfectly suited to your world without being overly contrived or obviously planted.

nWoD question.
When an individual player buy a merit with many aspects (Haven for Vampire, Hollow for Changelings, etc.), is it all just one the same Merit, or do you buy separately each aspect?
For example, do you have
Haven *** (Size **, Location*)
(which would cap the total Haven dots at 5)
OR
Haven (Size) **
Haven (Location) *
(which would cap all individual aspects at 5) ???

The latter seems to be correct, at least from reading the detailed entries on Sanctums for Mages. (It becomes very clear in Sanctum & Sigil).

Definitely the latter. Also, it is relevant to note that players can pool their resources on merits like Haven or Safehouse. For example:
Lucien has:
Haven Size **
Haven Location *

Assandra has:
Haven Location **
Haven Security *

If the two are in a coterie, the actual haven looks like:
Haven Size **
Haven Location ***
Haven Security *
For a total of 8 xp per character.