Ask a Question Get an Answer! - Page 99 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Ask a Question Get an Answer!

I know what the basic idea with it is but to many players uses it just to save points and I want to avoid pointless conflicts in PbP games. Also I don't want people to have to spend a lot of time on their sheets to ensure they are as effective as the other players.

Therefor I'm gonna exchange Alternate effects for extra points.

I feel as though that will cause more conflict as all the players ask you what the hell you're doing, and make people spend more time on their sheets as now they will be taking things which make good use of their power points rather than thematic variations (no archers with trick shots, no martial artists, no Iron Man suits, etc... well, not necessarily none, but these are all the sorts of things that might typically make good use of (Dynamic) Alternative Effect). It may be a little counterproductive, that's all.

If you're not allowing Alternative Effect, are you also removing utility belts, flamethrowers, etc?

As for the numbers, you may as well pluck something out of the air. Try building a character using Alternative Effect and see how many points you saved... however, if you then try building that character without Alternative Effect, you'll probably find that it's more effective to spend your extra points in different ways.

Apologies if this is a repeat question, but my search of the boards was fruitless.

I'm looking for an easy way to track buffs/debuffs in a Pathfinder game that includes an Unchained Rogue with levels of Warder and buff-heavy spellcasters. The party is only 5th level and the players are very clever so already there are a bunch of situational buffs (Aegis grants +2 to AC but only if party members are within 10', Protection from Evil +2 to AC but that doesn't apply to the neutral baddies the party is facing.)

In a tabletop game I'd have a bunch of index cards that I'd clip to the inside of the GM screen; how do people do that effectively on MW? I've seen some GMs use Google sheets but wonder if there are other tactics people take that have worked well.

Write it on character sheets/in statblocks/in DM private tags in posts/on the GM screen/in a special thread you create for such things/etc?

I use an excel spreadsheet with their buffs as pop up notes. If you forget the specifics, you hover over it and the note tells you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerBoy View Post
Apologies if this is a repeat question, but my search of the boards was fruitless.

I'm looking for an easy way to track buffs/debuffs in a Pathfinder game that includes an Unchained Rogue with levels of Warder and buff-heavy spellcasters. The party is only 5th level and the players are very clever so already there are a bunch of situational buffs (Aegis grants +2 to AC but only if party members are within 10', Protection from Evil +2 to AC but that doesn't apply to the neutral baddies the party is facing.)

In a tabletop game I'd have a bunch of index cards that I'd clip to the inside of the GM screen; how do people do that effectively on MW? I've seen some GMs use Google sheets but wonder if there are other tactics people take that have worked well.
You think we're clever? I'm honored. Wait until I tell them all how you're bragging about us on the boards to all your GM buddies!! Ohh, this is going to live on in the OOC threads my friend...

Just curious, but what's the best way to gauge how many encounters and how strong can a player party can handle in a dungeon/castle/large evil place of indeterminate description/ etc. in a single run through?

Like for example in Pathfinder, it's easy to put together a single encounter of monsters based on party composition/level and just figure out the CR from there. But is there a rule of thumb or a way to tell how many encounters they can handle in a row without healing/spell recharges? I'm willing to be challenging of course, but I don't want to be outright unfair.

The DM guide covers this, and it's one of the things that if ignored causes huge issues with the melee/caster power breaks. It depends on power level of the pc's, how well they work together and use their resources, and how hard you are on the players. 3-4 encounters that are of a CR of the party's APL to APL-3 is a good "filler" to get them to burn a few resources and then 1 at APL to 2 above on top of that is good for a daily rotation for an average group. Add a CR=APL+3 for a BBEG with some mooks of ECL-3=CR to just distract the PC's from just mauling the BBEG immediately.

Something of this nature should challenge the party, without risking a TPK, it's not exactly out of the DMG but close. The issue with a lot of PBP games, is the culture, or "Meta" is no combat unless its plot centric, and folks cut these extra encounters out. Which means casters always have spells and melee's feel useless due to it. I don't own the actual PF dmg but the 3.5 DMG covers it as a guideline of how their system is meant to be run daily for encounters.

ECL=Effective Character Level. If you have 6th level PC's, they have ECL 6. If they are gestalt, ECL 7. If they have favorable terrain, +1 ECL, if the enemies have favorable terrain it swings the other way, count them as +1 CR.

BBEG=Big Bad Evil Guy. The orc chief after fighting standard issue raiders for example.

APL=Approximate Party Level just in case as well.