Super Science & Signature Weapons a la DFRPG - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Super Science & Signature Weapons a la DFRPG

Super Science & Signature Weapons a la DFRPG

Okay I've been mulling it over being as how I'm starting a diesel/atomic punk game. . . . . Just how should I represent alien tech & items of super science?

So examples include a gravity gun, a heat ray, a death ray, tesla tech, a laser etc etc?

So beyond handling it purely using aspects, my thoughts so far have been to use items of power that do things like allow a bonus to Manuevers or allow channeling etc., and for people like super scientists or mechanics To use a reflavored thamaturgy?

K.I.S.S. seems applicable but I want the core items of someone's character to have a decent in game effect and not be entirely up to invoking an aspect ( pure aspects and stunts being the simplest way I could think of).

So I'm just not sure. Hence why I've come to you internet peoples here on the weave to help me suss this out.

Item of Power! Complete with cool flavor.

Also Unless they are going to be weapon 5+ or have some special mechanical effect you can actually just reflavor a normal gun.

Well That is one of the thoughts that occurred to me and that's why it's listed above. But such things are never that easy In building one of the examples above how would you do so using an Item of power?

And it's all about the cool effect my friend the examples I've been working with are things along the lines of a gravity cannon = big ole' gun that shoots gravity manipulation pulses can act as a tractor beam, crush things etc etc. or a heat ray= can light things on fire, dehydrate folk, melt things, evaporate water etc etc.

Also point of clarification, I meant rituals the lesser more restricted form of thamaturgy for super scientists.

Ritual works great for mad scientist types. Just ritual, you don't even need to bother with item of power. If you do go with ritual it will have weirder limitations than the norm. Also you'll need the occasional compels (for when the mad scientist tries to hex something he shouldn't be able too, or similar.)

For the more direct things done in conflicts... say firing a heat ray, I would recommend channeling on an IoP.

So lets say I have a heat ray. It would be something like
Item of Power: Heat Ray (-1)
Ritual (Heat Rays)
Refinement 2 [Insert what ever these are being used for. Probably offensive control]
Its a Heat Gun: You can make guns attacks at weapon: 3

And then I got my big heat gun. And probably a couple other enchanted items. The heat gun is probably also a big focus item too.

My main issue with channeling for this sort of thing is the skill requirement. To get good usage out of channeling you have to have good Lore, Discipline, Conviction where as maybe these skills aren't befitting the character?

However you're right it is the simplest means to an end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof cephalopod View Post
My main issue with channeling for this sort of thing is the skill requirement. To get good usage out of channeling you have to have good Lore, Discipline, Conviction where as maybe these skills aren't befitting the character?

However you're right it is the simplest means to an end.
So base the required skills for this type of device on something other than the normal skills used for channeling. Something more appropriate to the actual character concept. Just be careful to make sure that it balances.

That's a big deal as well I'm "Newish" to the system so I do have balancing issues ( as in I'm a terrible judge of it balances well). That's one of te primary reasons I started this thread.

So for some some gun type signiture weapons what would you suggest to be used as alternatives skill wise?

Such as Scholarship, Resources, and Lore (because Super Science is more than merely science)

Yeah I dig, I was going to keep Lore as is to represent knowledge of super science and alien tech etc, so that works I'm just lost as to the skills to derive power ( conviction ), and to control it ( discipline )..

Like would Guns be a good substitute for Conviction? And keep Discipline as well, because well . . . .it's apropo and what else would represent controlling crazy energies?

I'm open to suggestions and I totally agree with lore going all dual purpose, and scholarship I can see but isn't it basically mundane Lore? And resources yeah I'm not feeling it personally however if an applicant wanted to make a case I would completely listen, and I could see it working for a super science skill maybe replacing conviction for a super scientist using ritualism?

Anyone else have an opinion?