Ten Year Game of Civilization 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Ten Year Game of Civilization 2

So, not only was somebody able to keep their system running for 10 years without any data corruption or hard drive crashes, they've decided to use that period of stability to run Civilization 2 constantly.

What's the result? A 1700 year war, a world-wide nuclear wasteland, and a starving populace pumping all of it's resources into it's war machines.

On reddit, the player explained that the save game has actually been transferred between computers (multiple times, IIRC).

Which makes this even MORE awesome.

Quote:
“The world is a hellish nightmare of suffering and devastation,” says Lycerius. “There are 3 remaining super nations in the year 3991 A.D, each competing for the scant resources left on the planet after dozens of nuclear wars have rendered vast swaths of the world uninhabitable wastelands.”
Apart from 3991 that's how most of my games end up even after only a few days. Eventually you hit max and want to see your nuclear missiles rain down in glory before starting fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
Apart from 3991 that's how most of my games end up even after only a few days. Eventually you hit max and want to see your nuclear missiles rain down in glory before starting fresh.
Y'know, I was just thinking that the only difference between that game and most of mine is the year - and there's two surviving opponents.
Clearly, someone has not used enough nuclear ordnance.

And with the nuclear wasteland it occurred to me that he didn't have a vast core of engineers ready to clean up spills and radiation in an instant.

A halfway competent player can rain down nukes and grab a city with some paratroopers or marines and then raze the city far more effectively than the AI can. No reason the game should last 10 years.

I am calling BS on this though, it's easy enough to edit the game to show a different year and drop a few hundred nukes around and take a screen shot and post it to Reddit.

Hmm Lord Ben, didn't Civ2 record some parts of the player's reign into some hall of records? Been more than 12 years since my last play.

I haven't played it since 3 came out but it was pretty customizable with a good scenario editor, etc. It would have been time consuming but simple to fake this.