Greenwashing - Page 4 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Greenwashing

My family makes pies out of the cherries in our backyard. Pits can chip a tooth though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticattack View Post
"Diet", "organic" and so on are advertising tools. They may or may not be true, and even if they are true, that may or may not mean that they do what they claim to do - "organic" doesn't mean good for the environment, it just means "slightly less bad". Freight, packing materials, plastic bags, etc. are all still in play. Ignore the advertising, buy what you like and can afford.
My apologies, but why do people say "may or may not"? Does not "may" in itself include the possibility of being, as well as not being?

May = "There is at least 1 member of class X which is a member of class Y."
May Not = "There is at least 1 member of class X which is not a member of class Y."

The distinction is very important in both Aristotlean and Boolean logic.

What tic means is that "Members of the class "advertising tools," which includes "diet" and "organic," are members of or are not members of the class of true things." Note that the usage here of "or" is equivalent to logical OR, not logical XOR.

Or, it could merely be a redundant use of language to dissuade those that think "may" equals "is"?

I would say that in colloquial speech, "may or may not" indicates that the speaker has no inclination toward affirming or negating the statement, while the use of only "may" shows that speaker has doubts about the statement's truth or validity.

Or the redundancy could be used to add emphass to the statement.

Back to organics. I find the "organic" label laughable, unless they are synthesising the food, it must be organic, and grown organicly. What they mean is "Chemical free." What it should be is "no chemicals introduced by the grower during the growing process." But people wouldn't understand this. Also, lack of chemicals, like growth horomones and the like makes the product, sometimes, poorer than it should be. Sometimes it is better for you, but the product can have less nutritional value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy1 View Post
Also, lack of chemicals, like growth horomones and the like makes the product, sometimes, poorer than it should be. Sometimes it is better for you, but the product can have less nutritional value.
Growth hormones don't add nutritional value. And even if it did, people have been eating un-augmented food for- ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsentWizard View Post
I support this, but only because I believe in the power of SCIENCE! to replace inefficient meaty growing with soy products or other processed foods indistinguishable!
I'm not touching soy products: they contain something that looks like female hormones (see this. I didn't check the sources, but as long as there is doubt, I'll stay with taste beef).

In general, I'll stay away from "bio" products (that's what they're called here), except when they're cheaper. Growing hormones in meat is prohibited here anyway, so I don't need to consider that.
And the lower biological footprint is just silly. This year I saw bio-asparagus brought in by plane from
in a shop in Europe
Peru

I recently read an article from a professor in bio-engineering (regretfully in Dutch and not available online). He claimed that "industrial" farming has much better control over what happens with the soil and water than "organic" farming. Natural manure isn't very good for the environment, and no manure leads to dead soil.
Another point he made is that "organic" farming, due to a lower efficiency needs much more space, so maybe it's better to just farm as efficient as possible, taking control over which minerals enter and leave the soil and leave the space you win for some nature reserve (a big issue here, as Belgium is very densely populated and there aren't a lot of forests left)