Adapting Rainbow Servant for Janni - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Adapting Rainbow Servant for Janni

Adapting Rainbow Servant for Janni

I'm trying to figure out what domains would be more appropriate if I adapted the Rainbow Servant class, set to coutals by default, for a character who wishes to focus on Janni.

So far, the best suggestion I've received is to let the player pick 3 of the 4 elemental domains, but I'd like to hear your opinions.

Would Balance, Travel and Trickery work? Maybe swap Travel for Sand... Travel gives you the nomadic portion of "Nomadic Desert Dwellers," while Sand give you the desert part. Balance has quite a few spells that punish extraplanar creatures or are otherwise tied to neutrality, which seems the fit the Jann, who are intrinsically linked to the Prime Material Plane. And of course, all genies are tricksters, so Trickery fits perfectly (especially since I think it's the only way to get Divine Invisibility, and all genies get invisibility).

Elemental domains make sense to me. They don't offer quite as much to an arcane spellcaster - many Air/Earth/Fire/Water domain spells are already found on the sorcerer/wizard list, whereas Good and Law don't have a lot of overlap. May or may not be an issue, depending on what your character's build is.

I'm curious to know what you're doing with the other special abilities the class gets. Grow Wings just needs a little tweaking to make it into wingless flight or elemental wings or what-have-you, but the other special abilities don't resemble genie powers very much. Maybe give them at-will Invisibility instead of Detect Thoughts at level 10, and replace the other two abilities with some kind of planar endurance/Endure Elements/energy resistance and/or a limited kind of Plane Shift? Do you have ideas already in mind, or were you planning on sticking with Detect Evil/Chaos/Thoughts?

Quote:
Would Balance, Travel and Trickery work?
Actually, that does seem appropriate for a Janni. Maybe Sand, Travel, and Trickery?

Quote:
Maybe give them at-will Invisibility instead of Detect Thoughts at level 10, and replace the other two abilities with some kind of planar endurance/Endure Elements/energy resistance and/or a limited kind of Plane Shift?
I hadn't thought of a replacement for Detect Evil/Chaos/Thoughts. The suggestion to use tricksy abilities to replace it is a good one. Maybe Unseen Servant, Gust of Wind, and Invisibility?

A Janni's intrinsic Spell-like abilities are Enlarge (Self), Reduce (Self), Invisibility (self only), Speak with Animals and Create Food and Water. Enlarge, Reduce and Speak with Animals are all 1st level spells like Detect Evil/Chaos, and Invisibility is a 2nd level spell like Detect Thoughts. I'd say replace at-will Detect Evil with Speak with Animals, Detect Chaos with Enlarge/Reduce Person (self only), and Detect Thoughts with Invisibility (self only).

Question: Why would a Jann worshiper get Clerical spell access? Couatl-philes getting cleric spells makes sense since Couatls cast as clerics, but Jann have no intrinsic spell casting.

As an aside, you might want to give your player a 1/day spell-like of the spell Planar Tolerance to mimic the Jann's ability to survive outside the Material for extended periods. Maybe limit it to only the Elemental Planes.

Quote:
Question: Why would a Jann worshiper get Clerical spell access? Couatl-philes getting cleric spells makes sense since Couatls cast as clerics, but Jann have no intrinsic spell casting.
One of the suggested adaptations is for Rakshasas, which also do not get cleric spellcasting.

Simply swapping out the domains (elementals seem best) would make sense, and be pretty simple. The question about Clerical spell access is another one. There seems to be a bit of a connection between Couatls and the divine, since we're talking hidden jungle temples, and the Couatls do indeed cast as Clerics. Flavour-wise, does a genie version giving Clerical access make sense? Should it add other spells to one's list (like the Sand Shaper does, maybe)? But then it gets a lot more awkward to balance.