Raven's Writing Prompts Vol. 3

What Is This?Once upon a time, the Creative Corner had an organization of writers; a devoted few dedicated to honing their literary crafts and opening their doors and minds to anyone who wished to do the same. Sadly, the Writer's Guild is no more, swallowed up by inactivity and disinterest, yet from time to time I still see inquiries of the guild's status. Though I cannot bring back the Writer's Guild (at least, not by myself), I do hope to carry on the spirit of its meaning in what ways that I can.

Each week, I will be posting a writing prompt for those who wish to practice extracurricular creative constitutionals. The aim is to present you with a writing challenge to stimulate your mind and help you polish your writing skills. Each prompt will have a set of guidelines suggested for submissions. It is not required that you follow these guidelines to the letter, as the name of the game is to be creative, and thus you should feel free to bend and stretch them to suit your challenge preferences. They should, however, be considered an extra challenge to try a method of writing that might not be in your comfort zone.

Prompt #3:

Today I was inspired a little to write a scene for a novel I'd like to think I'll finish some day. Normally I write in sequence. Beginning, middle, end. That sort of thing. Other times, however, I'll see a scene in my head, write it down, and then try to 'glue' it to what is happening. Most of the time it fails miserably, but there are some rare moments when it does actually work out pretty well. And if not, I put the scene away on a flash drive and revisit it later when I hit a block.

That being said, my inspiration today came from a very sudden, very fast severe storm that started roughly an hour ago but has since dwindled down to quiet rumbles and dripping rain. It was one of those times when the sky just suddenly began to get darker and darker outside very quickly. This morning when I left for work, there was only a few clouds, and now they're everywhere shifting and swirling as they pass. It is a rather curious feeling that comes with witnessing first hand just how quickly what you knew could be gone. I suppose it brings proper meaning to the phrase "like changing seasons".

This week, I'd like to take a look at the element of sudden change in stories, and the feelings that come with them. Awe, fear, hopelessness. That strange sinking feeling you get when something is taken away, or the indescribable happiness you feel when you're given a new gift. Remember, the event is only marginally important. The feelings, emotions and thoughts that spawn in its aftermath are what connects the reader to what is going on. Here are some examples of sudden events that inspire different, potentially life-changing emotions:
  1. The Tragic Death - It is one thing to be hit with the news of the passing of a friend, but it is very different to have been there.
  2. The Proposal - A sudden expression of powerful love is enough to make anyone, even the coldest shoulders go 'Aww' in some way or form.
  3. Sudden Connection - Whether it is believed to be some higher power or some other force we can't quite explain, experiencing some connection beyond social bounds is a very rare and very riveting occasion.
  4. True Terror - Fear has the ability to command many aspects of our life, and when confronted with what we fear, it can even be capable of shattering minds or destroying one's way of thinking.
  5. Instance of Betrayal - Few things draw the ire of the human heart more than the revelation of a lie.