Reach Weapon - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Reach Weapon

Reach Weapon

Hey all,

My character is going to wield a reach weapon. Wondered if you guys had any suggestions for:

A- a good reach weapon that doesnt need any feats (so, no spiked chain)

B- any good tactics? My character's a duskblade, so he can just use a touch spell on adjacent enemies, but i'd still like to take full advantage of my reach!

Thanks all!

If your Dm allows it you should get a wizard to make you a permanent thunder lance. It has reach 20. It is from spell compendium. It uses your BAB and can have bonuses to your strength score if the wizard is high enough level.

What kind of weapon proficiency does the character have - all the way to Martial?

Side note, that lance 'would' have been glorious. Curse your DM =p

The typical non-feat reach weapon for martial builds is the Guisarme. You can make trip attacks with it, and it has your standard 10 foot reach.

Alternately, if you build as a mounted charger, you can go with the lance.

My vote would be for guisarme, yes, but the glaive (slightly more damage, though unlikely to be worth it) and ranseur (disarm instead of trip) both have things going for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
My vote would be for guisarme, yes, but the glaive (slightly more damage, though unlikely to be worth it) and ranseur (disarm instead of trip) both have things going for them.
The ranseur is useful when you're going to be playing against a lot of humanoid enemies, but when you start running into a lot of animals and stuff that doesn't use manufactured weapons, the ability to disarm with it quickly becomes useless.

Unfortunately, tripping also becomes highly useless in the same situation, unless you specifically build for it (due to the rampant number of large+ and multilegged opponents).

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the halberd. It has the damage of a glaive, can be set against charges, and can be used to make trip attacks. There are also some halberd-specific feats that you can pick up (most in CW, I think) to give yourself a few more tricks.

If your DM allows the A&EG, check out the Halberd of Vaulting. Try not to drool too much over it.

Basically, i'm a duskblade/skylord, so yeah i'm mounted on a pegasus. Up until now, i was gonna go with a glaive. We are in the dragonlance setting so lots of humanoids and draconics.

I was thinking, woud it be legit to use a spiked gauntlet and attack adjacent ennemises with it without dropping my other weapon?