Object Mimicry Confuses Me - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Object Mimicry Confuses Me

I was not suggesting that a stealth check was in order. The rules do say,however, that you can be detected by an acute sense for which you didn't buy Concealment. That is all I was trying to point out. So if you bought Concealment (visual), then your presence could still be detected (but not your actual location) within three Notice range increments with hearing and a DC 20 Notice check.

The Stealth skill is a less effective and less expensive version of Concealment.

[Edit] - to be clear . . . if you bought Concealment against all normal human senses that are either accurate or acute (Visual and Auditory), you would be undetectable by normal humans unless they managed to touch you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
I was not suggesting that a stealth check was in order. The rules do say,however, that you can be detected by an acute sense for which you didn't buy Concealment. That is all I was trying to point out. So if you bought Concealment (visual), then your presence could still be detected (but not your actual location) within three Notice range increments with hearing and a DC 20 Notice check.

The Stealth skill is a less effective and less expensive version of Concealment.
I was referring to DarkGorge's mention of a Stealth check being in order. Sorry 'bout being vague and all. So with Concealment 10, only tactile senses could detect me (alongside Super-Senses with the Counters Concealment type), right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einrich View Post
So with Concealment 10, only tactile senses could detect me (alongside Super-Senses with the Counters Concealment type), right?
Correct.

[Edit] - Also, don't try to do the math to get to 10 ranks. They don't add up. :-) The game designer apparently decided that if you were willing to shell out for 10 ranks, throw in the rest of the senses for free.

[Edit 2] - You should also be aware of the effect that something like total concealment has on a game. It isn't really very genre appropriate and it isn't much fun for anyone. I would never allow it as a GM.

I understand how game-breaking Concealment has the potential to be. That's why I applied the flaws to both forms that I have it in. My Concealment is blending Predator-style in gaseous mimic form, and my Concealment is already limited to only within the liquid I'm mimicking in liquid mimic form, so it's situational. I would've also applied Blending to the liquid Concealment, but that would reduce to the cost to an effective 0 points per rank, though I know the minimal is always 1. I suppose I could find a not-too-terrible Extra to balance.

The "mimic" descriptor doesn't seem to be sufficient to explain why you are also buying concealment to the "mental" and "radio" and "all other" senses (like mystical, cosmic, gravitational, etc.).

From what I understand, Concealment, inherently, doesn't conceal you from mental detection. It only works against the physical senses. Right?

[Edit] Eh, maybe I'm wrong.

[Edit] As a sidenote, would I be able to imitate shadow? A fellow player said that, since shadows are merely the absence of light, they don't count. Logically, it makes sense, but since the Object Mimicry power allows for the mimicry of any object that one can physically touch (or see, even, with the right Extra), and you can physically touch a shadow being cast on a surface, would that apply?

Concealment 10 is total concealment against all sense types (except tactile): visual, auditory, olfactory, radio, mental, and special (the sense types are listed on page 68).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einrich View Post
[Edit] As a sidenote, would I be able to imitate shadow? A fellow player said that, since shadows are merely the absence of light, they don't count. Logically, it makes sense, but since the Object Mimicry power allows for the mimicry of any object that one can physically touch (or see, even, with the right Extra), and you can physically touch a shadow being cast on a surface, would that apply?
That depends on the descriptors, I guess. I could see a mystically-based mimic allowing you to mimic shadows. I could also see a GM saying "no shadows" to someone with a nanotech based mimic power (since your nanites can't sample the object to alter your molecular makeup).

Well, shadow is listed under Alternate Form as one of the forms you can take. However, I am assuming you have the limiting factor of Touch on your mimicry ability and you can't really touch a shadow. So, I would go with Law. It also just doesn't make sense in the terms of your flavor, but that can always be tweaked between a player and their gm.

My schema is basically "anything I can touch, I can be". Currently, I've got an Object Mimicry/Create Object run going on, but we've only had one session as sort of a test bed for characters, and I didn't have much use for Create Object when most of my Object Mimic forms had offensive capabilities. So I was thinking of remapping a chunk of points to go for a Master Mimic sort of thing. Much more comprehensive than just the Mimic archetype.