Fallout: Robots - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Fallout: Robots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaviien View Post
Would you expect a high powered EMP grenade to kill a Deathclaw?
Bullets don't do well against steel plate, same as piercing damage will not do a great deal of damage vs skeletons.

Sorry, I just realised there is no question in the OP.
Yes, you are correct, Injury Tolerance (Unliving) can make tackling robots extremely difficult with old-fashioned kinetic based firearms. That's what it is meant to do.
However, in the Fallout 3 videogame, all manner of weaker weaponry can harm most enemies, so I am wondering if that is worth adapting to a GURPS based Fallout game, or abandoning entirely during translation.

Have you seen Fallout GURPS?
A lot of the numbers are very unbalanced, but other than that, it's not a bad starting point (coming from someone that's never played a real RPG, but has been playing Fallout since the 90's)

In the end, I guess it depends on what your goal is. Are you trying to simulate the Fallout videogame, or a simulation of real world physics in the Fallout universe.
I am tending toward the latter, but I've started a few threads looking for people like you, to help make Fallout GURPS more playable.
I'll edit or reply with links when I'm on my PC.

Yeah, Fallout 3 is something of an odd duck when it comes to the strength of the enemies. No flat damage reduction is interesting... New Vegas had it better, even if the enemies generally didn't have very high damage thresholds anyway. In Fallout 1 and 2 all robotic enemies were pains in the ass to deal with if you didn't have awesome weapons and enough skill to aim for vitals.

From a physics perspective, as opposed to a gameplay perspective, I would expect a robot without a vital hit location to soak up masses of small caliber kinetic weapons. An analogy would be trying to take down an armored car with a small caliber weapon. Unless you have a large caliber weapon or AP ammunition (and sometimes even then), you can be firing for minutes without penetrating. With some weapons and ammunition the only effect you're going to have is adding an extra layer of lead to the armor.

In Fallout 1 (& maybe 2), the best way to deal with really heavy enemies was to get them to line up to kill you. Which meant invariably some of them would shoot the ones ahead of them. With weaponry that could get the job done.

well i see 2 solutions to azar problem
first as said target vitals with a weapon able to pass the dr, this way injury tolerance doesnt apply and you get a X3 damage
easy, cheap to buy (vitals are -3 to hit, targetted attack cost 4 points?) and doenst change the system

the second is to modify the robots(and all the creatures that give this problem)
simply lower the dr to 4 or 5(or higher but semi-ablative) , this way even small arms, with time will be able to kill it

with both these solution, an handgun can take down one, before the end of the clip...if you dont miss

8 average damage-5 dr= 3 x3vitals...9 damage(to be clear injury tolerance doesnt apply to vital hit location)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leons1701 View Post
In Fallout 1 (& maybe 2), the best way to deal with really heavy enemies was to get them to line up to kill you. Which meant invariably some of them would shoot the ones ahead of them. With weaponry that could get the job done.
If they're stupid/aggressive enough and can't navigate their way around their companions, then Hitting the Wrong Target should come into play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azar View Post
However, in the Fallout 3 videogame, all manner of weaker weaponry can harm most enemies, so I am wondering if that is worth adapting to a GURPS based Fallout game, or abandoning entirely during translation.
That's not a Fallout convention, that's a video game convention, and one that Fallout doesn't even embrace fully (Mr. Gutsy is far more resistant to ballistics than he is to other forms of harm). Some RPGs, such as D&D, fully embrace video game conventions. GURPS doesn't (though there are ways to adopt it to a video-game like setting through source books if you so choose).

Should you make a Fallout game video-game like? If you want an opinion, then mine is no you should not. Fallout is a brutal, desperate world where death is cheap and great sacrifices must be made for simple survival. GURPS is a perfect rule-set for it, it encourages caution, cleverness, and resource management.

What you describe sounds about right. If you want to kill the unliving, guns are lousy weapons. Grab a baseball bat or an axe. Whether or not this is appropriate depends on if you want a realistic game or a video game feel. If you want the former, use gurps as si. If you want the latter, you still have options: A recent pyramid article suggested halving the damage of guns and doubling thier armor divisor. This has the benefit of letting PCs soak more damage (and not having to give enemies tons of HP); while, maintaining weapons' penetrative capabilities.

But seriously, unliving things don't go down easily. Have you seen a car get shot with a rifle? It doesn't stop or suddenly explode. It takes a hit to the vitals (engine) with a .50 cal round to do some real damage or a minigun firing fifty rounds per second.