Free Afghanistan? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Free Afghanistan?

Free Afghanistan?

Now, I was under the impression that with democracy, the Afghans had also done away with Sharia. Seems the 'freedoms' that were apparently won there does not include the option of being anything other than Muslim.

Abdul Rahman is on trial there for apostasy - punishable by execution - for converting to christianity.

A little help: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4845970.stm
Quote:
[...] the pope's appeal was inspired by "profound human compassion" and by a "firm belief in the dignity of human life and by respect for every person's freedom of conscience and religion".
Quote:
The US has urged President Karzai to seek a "favourable resolution" to the case.
Quote:
Austria, current holder of the European Union's rotating presidency, said it would "leave no stone unturned" to protect Mr Rahman.
The majority latest news isn't exactly cute pet stories. So, is this place really moving ahead? Is the fact that he faces a trial at all proof of how civilized the place has become? Or are they about ready to fall upon one another again, whether for religion, land, power, boredom, or whatever takes their fancy? The UN mission has been extended - but what after that? Can the country survive without this force of arms?

And does the US people still remember their invasion?

Without knowing all the details, I can't make too much of a comment, but... well, yeah, never a good thing for one's choice in religion to be limited. On the plus side, yeah, he's getting a trial, as opposed to being stoned or whatever.

And with the international outrage this will cause? Well... he might have a chance of getting off, mightn't he? Not 'cause the pope said, but if Bush or... I dunno, does Afghanistan trade with anyone? Anyone with some influence, basically. They're not gonna wanna piss off Bush, for fear of getting invaded, so... Meh.

And then you have the downside - If he is executed, he doesn't get any virgins, with the exception of the odd priest.

Well I am an American, and I definitely have not forgotten. I will admit that I even condoned the invasion of Afghanistan, back in the day. Most Americans did. But that was before all of our present administration alleged corruption came to light. Now after we have invaded Iraq (without nato's consent), a country that we used to support, a country with the second largest oil reserve on the planet, a country that turned out not to have WMD's, people are starting to think twice.
I am personally having doubts that what are politicians really want is freedom for those people at all. A lot of people around the world would probably scream "DUH" at me. What they really want is a capitalistic puppet government. That's it. We want what Japan became after WWII, and what S. Korea became. If the people in that area don't want that kind of situation, then tough. We will force it on them.

I don't know what my point is, but this is what I believe. It's hard not to be confused when we are fed nothing but spin and lies.

Personally, I feel that the peoples/cultures of the Middle East, in particular the Muslim/Islamic states, are not ready for freedoms and democracy...far too much infighting, hate, religious extremism, and anger.

They just need a good dictator, which is hard to find these days...

I was under the impression that we still had a small amount of troops in Afghanistan? Why can't we charge the guys with hate crimes. It's no different than the holocaust, they're planning to execute a guy based on religious belief.

The UN does have troops there - like I said, the mission was just extended. But its nothing like the holocaust. This isn't a defeated and destroyed nation - the militias are still intact, for one - they actually helped the yanks/UN overthrow the Taliban. It was a regime change is all. Now, to charge a sovereign government (that you've just established) with hate crimes? I don't know... how would things pan out if Karzai demanded you charge all non-Muslims in the US with apostasy? I'm not sure the US can so easily say 'you can keep your sovereign right to make laws' [...] 'oh, wait - but don't do that'. Not that the US seems much to care...

Really I'm tired of all this "nation building" just despose the interim governments, claim afghanistan, iraq and etc colonies and start establishing the american empire. I mean come on if we have an army use it for something productive goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder_Kin
Really I'm tired of all this "nation building" just despose the interim governments, claim afghanistan, iraq and etc colonies and start establishing the american empire. I mean come on if we have an army use it for something productive goodness!
Although, I agree, I think it would take us nuking the lands and eradicating the people first, before we could claim them as colonlies and we would have to have mass exodus from the US. I would say that the first we would have to send over there, would be the latin americans and the afro-americans first.

[end sarcasam]

Viewpoint of a Soldier that has been on the Ground in Iraq:

See I believe that the cold war is not actually over. Because if you actually look at the information we are given over the news, and that the soldiers are getting while they are over there, we are in a sence actually fighting the russian states.

To prove my point, While over there the us Military takes weapons and terrorist and removes them from the population. but at the same time the Syrian's, Russian,s and other communist nations are still selling the terrorists weapons and helping them import these weapons into Iraq and Afganistan to fight the US and our allies, thus indirectly we are still in the cold war.

But at the same time we are fighting our allies also, since if you look at history we take out one dictator or president or what ever you want to call him from say Iraq, and then a couple years down the road England does the same thing and this just keeps occuring every couple of years.