Sandy's political fallout - Page 11 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Sandy's political fallout

So you get... vast swaths of unproductive countryside?

Quote:
it'd be neighbor against neighbor and lots of bloodshed on a local scale. Anyone who wishes for it or even speaks fondly of it is a sicko.
Nobody wishes for a war, against government or neighbor. I certainly don't. But I'm not afraid to open my eyes to a possible reality either. I don't wish for it, but if and when it does, I won't be like the majority of the country reeling in utter confusion at what the hell just happened cuz I was caught off guard.

IT's only a matter of time before people realize that a disease has built a resistance to the cure, and a new cure must be found

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercutio361 View Post
IT's only a matter of time before people realize that a disease has built a resistance to the cure, and a new cure must be found
You're likely to see a peaceful transfer of power in the next few months. Voting works, just because voters don't agree with whatever goal or opinion you have doesn't mean revolution is imminent.

I find it interesting that Blue states mostly lie in high density areas. What kind of correlations could one draw from it?

The core demographic for Republicans are older, mostly white, established people who are towards the richer end of th spectrum. They live in the less-dense suburbia or in the country.

The core demographic for Democrats are younger, with a much larger non-white/immigrant population who are torwards the poorer end of the spectrum. They live in the more population-dense areas in cities because they can't afford the big houses and transportation is easier without owning a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wippit Guud View Post
The core demographic for Republicans are older, mostly white, established people who are towards the richer end of th spectrum. They live in the less-dense suburbia or in the country.
Your stereotype-fu is weak. Don't forget that farmers and rural workers tend to be conservative, and they're not all that wealthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
Your stereotype-fu is weak. Don't forget that farmers and rural workers tend to be conservative, and they're not all that wealthy.
No man who owns 1000+ acres of land and million-dollar tractors are poor in my book. They just have all their money tied up in assets.

Most farmers don't own over 1000 acres of land, and those areas are also populated by small towns of welfare dependant Republicans who vote on social issues (I have litterally been there) and believe in "personal charity" over government subsidy because that allows them to keep the 'wrong people' in line.
just my observations from 40 years living in Kansas...

As a poor man living in the middle of cattle pasture (I actually am surrounded by an electric fence), I know most rural living is poor. I just don't include the farmers, they have more than I'll ever have in a lifetime. Or at least any farmer who is running an industrial farm. Small 5-acre homesteads or people going all-organic, they tend to be lower on the money pyramid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
Not to mention construction workers, plumbers, auto mechanics, and the like. Basically, almost all rural folk are pretty conservative, because they've had to be in order to survive. On the other hand, city folk have to be more ready and willing to change, which makes them more liberal by and large. Hence, liberals have a much higher concentration in cities and conservatives in the country. As the nation as a whole becomes more citified, I think we will see a swing towards a more liberal country, but that's purely guesswork on my part.