Comic Book Wednesdays, What did you get? - Page 7 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Comic Book Wednesdays, What did you get?

Wonder Woman! Wonder Woman! Wonder Woman! Wonder Woman!

Seriously.. I love that book... It's really good.. Plot twist after plot twist.. Though something I noticed..

Aquaman is still good.. Justice League has picked up.. Batman is a great book, I really enjoyed Night of the Owls.. I also still get and enjoy Nightwing, Teen Titans, Batman and Robin... Action comics has a really neat plot line going on right now.. I get Superman, but only because I really like Supes.. The stories in Superman have been kind of meh.. Very "monster of the week" kind of stuff with Supes.

I'm probably forgetting some that I get and I get some marvel titles as well, but that's the ones that came up outta my head first

Seriously.. Wonder Woman.. So good.

The problem I'm finding with Wonder Woman at the moment is that it doesn't feel like it fits in with the DC Universe at large. All the other titles feel like they're in the same setting, but WW just isn't yet. Hopefully they'll fix that soon, because otherwise I'll agree that it is very fun.

WW was always a favorite of Hammie anyway, but yes, she has been good! Hammie has only one comic to follow and WW is it!

I tried to get back into comics with the new 52. Bought the first of one of the new Batmans, and suddenly realized that it wasn't a fresh start across the board. Immediatley gave up. Now I count on my friend who is still into comics to occasionally tell me what happened.

I picked up the first issue of WW but didn't get any others. I've heard it was one of the better new DCU books. I'm going to try to weed through the books and decide which ones I want to keep reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkrough View Post
I tried to get back into comics with the new 52. Bought the first of one of the new Batmans, and suddenly realized that it wasn't a fresh start across the board. Immediatley gave up. Now I count on my friend who is still into comics to occasionally tell me what happened.
That was my feeling about The New 52 as well. I was really hoping it would be DC's answer to Marvel's Ultimate line: Take the various big figures, and reset their origins to the modern day, updating the characters to be a bit more current. (Peter was a web editor for The Daily Bugle, Dazzler became a punk rocker instead of a disco... something, etc.) But New 52 clearly isn't a reboot so much as an excuse to retcon a bunch of stuff, so, meh.

Batgirl, WW, Aquaman, Teen Titans, Supergirl, and Suicide Squad have all been pretty good.

Senora Hammie cut back on the number of comics I buy until she finds a job, and she's right, so I mostly just borrow them from my friend. I do get to read WW and she's pretty cool. Like I've always said...she fights the Greek Gods! She HAS to be tough to take them on! Dare I say she can actually be outclassed?

I remember picking up the DC Heroes and Villains book and seeing just how TOUGH they made Ares, God of War. And you could argue the other Greek Patheon would be just as bada$$ I mean, WW is really tough, too, but she needs to be.

I have a hard time locating any comics that can actually keep my interest. I'm not really in to the super hero thing, unless we're counting Spawn which would be the only exception.

I do thoroughly enjoy a lot of standalone graphic novels though, and I do sometimes find some good trade paperbacks that I like too.

DC Zero issues. Gimmick or essential?

I just finished reading Talos #0. I picked up because of Scott Snyder. Thoughts?

Some are really good.. Some are meh.. I'll try to keep this spoiler free, apologies if I say something that might be perceived as such.

The Green Lantern one might as well have been issue 14.. Green Lantern annual should've been issue 13.. They were not out of continuity, out of time, or anything of the sort.. If you skipped the annual or issue zero, you're probably going to be confused if you got issue 12 to issue 13.. So if you like what's going on in GL, then you should like 0, but, again, it shouldn't have been issue 0.

Wonder Woman was, as it has been, amazing.. I loved the direction Azzarello chose to take with it. He gave it the feel of a silver age comic.. The art style, the writing style, the type of story.. Also a funny note that "War" in the comic looked like Brian Azzarello.. The comic was also just good.. It had the gimmick of the chosen style, but that gimmick didn't get in the way of telling a really interesting story about Wonder Woman's past. I seriously can't recommend Wonder Woman enough.. Issue 0 or any others.. It's honestly become my favorite series of new 52..

Justice League is all about Captain Marvel (who I think is just going to be going by Shazam in new 52).. It was one of the better ones I read so far.. They're doing a really good job developing the character..

Those are the three that stuck out in my head right now.. I have some others to read still.. I didn't read Talos #0, not sure what it is (maybe typo and it's Talon?? Which I also didn't read)..