Ranged Attacks - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Ranged Attacks

Wouldn't it be 2K for a ring of that spell?

Here's a list of sources for Close Combat Shot (the Order of the Bow Initiate's ability):
Close Combat Shot - use ranged weapon while in melee without provoking attacks of opportunity
Exotic Weapon Master 1, ecl 7, Complete Warrior, exotic weapons only
Gnome Giant-Slayer 5, ecl 10, Complete Warrior
Order of the Bow Initiate 2, ecl 7, Complete Warrior
Soulbow 4, ecl 9, Complete Psionic
Justice of Weald and Woe 6, ecl 12, FR: Champions of Ruin, called "steady shot", only while in light or no armor
Master Thrower 2, ecl 7, Complete Warrior, "defensive throw", see text
Perfect Archery, psionic power, Complete Psionic

So as a class feature this shapes up to be a Level 7 ability.

Wizards can learn & cast the spell at Level 1, and make potions of it at Level 3.

Rangers can cast the spell at Level 4, assuming a WIS of at least 11 (and what ranger has a WIS that low?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMorganes View Post
Putting the spell into a wand opens things up slightly, allowing anyone with a decent UMD score to use it. The spell still only effects the person activating the wand and takes a standard action to activate. That makes it slightly less attractive to those who can already cast it.
The standard action is going to sting, but most of the archer builds I've seen have a couple of levels of ranger. I wouldn't think most of the people who wanted to use the wand would need the UMD check. I guess rogues and fighters without and ranger levels?

Honestly, I'd just stick with making him take the AoOs. It honestly makes playing a marksman more interesting to have to stratagize a little bit more.

He's not a primary caster. If he finds a way within the rules to avoid the AoO, let him have it.

D'oh!

Thanks for the correction. I don't generally play casters, and when I DM my players rarely make potions.