Roleplay - What if you're roleplaying yourself? - Page 5 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Roleplay - What if you're roleplaying yourself?

Dreaming of winning a million and how you would spend the money is a type of roleplaying (yourself). A group of my old friends, heavy roleplayers, watched the old D&D cartoons one day and decided that no matter what else happened they would have a sheet for themselves in any game setting they played.

Anyway, back on the original question... I'd run as if I didn't realize what was going on.

That's what good players do. Play the character. If the character is 'you'- then sure, there's reason to handle it differently. But remember the DM is not the NPC- the NPC you suspect may not be suspicious in real life. Just as, if statistics are accurate, the average american speaks to at least one child molester every week or so, without realizing it. Real life, not the internet.

Kinda makes you contemplate home-schooling, doesn't it?

Well, anyway, the DM can't accurately portray the kind of cunning and charm and ability to appear harmless that is the natural talent of (successful) evil bastards. They're usually very good at hiding what they are. It's hard to truly capture that. Keep in mind most serial killers had neighbors who thought they were perfectly ordinary, often quite likeable, individuals. Same with most rapists. There are still nazi war criminals hiding out in various places, no one realizing who they are. Not many by now, I'm sure old age has claimed most of them. But the point is- they got away with it long enough to die of old age.

So, yes, unless you're a really strong judge of character (which means you, as a player, should pick up a lot of points in whatever system's lie detection talents)... accept that the game master cannot do what those monsters can do.

And if your game master CAN portray these monsters true to form... then either you should be worried, or he should be writing for real. Because it's a rare talent to get deep enough into that world to make it work.

lol.. that reminds me of an old G.I. Joe file card.

That friendly new neighbor might just have a red uniform in his closet.

Talking about the Corba Crimson Guard.