Batman Shooting - Page 19 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Batman Shooting

He apparently did so without alerting media. Kudos for being classy, Mr. Bale.

I'll look up the details, but apparently WB is putting together a fund for the benefit of victims and their families with part of the revenue for the film.

Quote:
I'm not assuming a 100% chance of success. I'm assuming that even if I wildly miss my first shot and tag a civilian, my second shot will hit. The casualties will be lower than if he were allowed to continue unopposed. It's the grim math of war. Sometimes you need to risk the few for the good of the many.
and that is why you would open fire and I would not. I'm not saying your logic is flawed- as logic I agree with it. I also know that on a gut level I do not think that way- I might want to find a way to take out the gunman but while I 'panic cold' I don't find the concept of causing non-combatant injuries myself something I am willing to do, even when I know the math.
You take the gun, I'll take the tazer.

I saw someone suggesting Bale go visit the killer dressed as Batman and give him a wall-to-wall counseling session on why we don't do certain things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroak View Post
and that is why you would open fire and I would not. I'm not saying your logic is flawed- as logic I agree with it. I also know that on a gut level I do not think that way- I might want to find a way to take out the gunman but while I 'panic cold' I don't find the concept of causing non-combatant injuries myself something I am willing to do, even when I know the math.
You take the gun, I'll take the tazer.
I've had bad experiences with tazers.
I have reason to believe that they're not necessarily as effective as you might hope. You have to be careful which one you're getting, as the kind they want you to get... well, they'll stop someone who wants to stop. They have a significantly lower engagement range than most firearms, too, but that shouldn't be an ender in this setting.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and body armor stops tazers cold. Most any body armor ever still transmits a broken rib from a handgun shot at close range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
Wishing the death of an individual because the information you have now has lead you to conclude that they are 'evil' while expressing a lack of interest in any further information that might become available that could change your assessment itself is evil, as far as I'm concerned.
There is a reason we have rules concerning 'due process', 'innocent until proven guilty', and 'cruel and unusual punishment'.
Summary execution violates each of them.
State complicity in mob-'justice' (ie. releasing him into the general prison population and making it known that the guards will not interfere, as suggested earlier in this thread) violates at least two of them, and probably all three.
Both of those are evil.
If I had been in that theater and owned a hand gun that I had a licence for and carried with me once he started shooting Summary execution would have been in effect. That dude would have been dead, I most likley would be hurt or dieing too but he would be by the second shot since the first one would have been center mass. Semper FI...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savayan View Post
I think you're missing a few logical steps in this argument Mike. The former posit flows from the latter there. The question isn't how to stop mass shootings, it's how to make them less common and less severe.
I'm personally for a better health care system that will identify and treat people with mental problems as opposed to what we have now, where the mentally ill are often stigmatized and uncared for, which allows things to deteriorate to the point where they start thinking about committing horrible crimes. (Or, as is more often the case, wander the streets without a home.)

Strikes me as a better solution to the problem of psychos with guns than taking away the guns. (Of course, seeing how well this country has handled the War on Drugs, I have serious doubts as to the government's ability to take away the guns anyways.)

There is no doubt that there should be more reliable and active ways of picking up on and reporting the warning signs for stuff like this, that's for sure. Even if it is difficult to foresee simply based on a mental health diagnosis (the care for which I agree should be improved), there surely must be some way to have a red flag go up when someone who has received such care is suddenly purchasing multiple firearms and a pile of ammunition via the internet.

Actually, multiple firearm purchases within a short period of time from the same dealer triggers an ATF background check, if I remember my US gun laws correctly. I think it is part of the 1968 GCA.

And you can't make a head shot with a tazer?
I've always wondered what that would do to someone's memory...

Unlike in Counter-Strike, head shots in real life are difficult to pull off, moreso if your target is wearing a ballistic helmet like James Holmes was.