Big Freaking Sword? - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Big Freaking Sword?

Because a lot of people are of the erroneous belief that any warrior able to do more than oh say 2d6+10 damage is OMGWTFBBQ broken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leons1701 View Post
Because a lot of people are of the erroneous belief that any warrior able to do more than oh say 2d6+10 damage is OMGWTFBBQ broken?
At level 1 or 2, yes, minimum of 12 damage is indeed broken. Many CR2, and nearly all CR1 monsters are dead with a single swing.

That said, I have no problem with a Fighter being open to own things that early, and given the chance to Optimize, I'd run a level 1 Goliath Fighter (for an ECL of 2) swinging for 8d8+10 with cleave.

Those numbers disgust me though any smart DM can work around that by limiting the fighter's ability to get close up. Course I'm not one to dissapoimt my players and I'd still throw some mooks at the fighter to make him feel awesome.

My character, who used a large fullblade (he was a human with a resizing blade and a magic item that gave him monkey grip) got around it by getting a weapon storage enchantment put on his gloves so he didn't need a sheath, he just snapped his fingers and BAM! huge sword. Combined with some backup weapons, he was quite effective. Granted, he was a cleric/prestige paladin, so of course he was effective, but it's pretty much an ideal way to handle things if you have the cash. (my character managed to get a hold of the entire party's big loot reward, so he had the wealth of an ECL16 at ECL 10. And again, paladin, so it was on accident)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steampunkadept View Post
With feats, flaws, and traits, I've built a level 1 Goliath (ECL 2) who wields a Colossal sized weapon for 8d8 + 10STR bonus + Power Attack, + Cleave. Very few creatures can survive my minimal damage at that point, and cleave goes off almost every hit.
Out of curiosity, what was the build on that character anyway?

Race - Goliath
Class - Fighter

Traits - Giantism and Big
Flaws - Overcompensation and Big Dumb Bruiser

Feats - Monkey Grip (bonus from flaw), Exotic Weapon Proficiency, Fullblade (bonus from flaw), Power Attack (1st level feat), Cleave (1st level Fighter Bonus feat)

I also managed to get my base strength up to 31.

Ah
and not very good homebrew at that
homebrew. That explains a lot.

Yup, and if the game will allow the home brew, I'll use it.
That said, I normally tend to make reasonable characters, though on occasion I like to minmax with the best of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steampunkadept View Post
Yup, and if the game will allow the home brew, I'll use it.
That said, I normally tend to make reasonable characters, though on occasion I like to minmax with the best of them.
The best of us don't use obviously obscenely overpowered and silly homebrew content.

Also Powerful Build and Monkey Grip don't stack.