More on MnM3e and DC adventures - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

More on MnM3e and DC adventures

More on MnM3e and DC adventures

Heroes and Villains:
Heroes and Villains featured, and why they where chosen
Green Lantern (already posted in another thread, but might as well put it here to for comparison)
Aquaman (pdf)
The Joker (pdf)

Mechanics:
Top 10 changes from 2e
Sample encounter: Batman vs thugs

For more design journals and stuff: http://mutantsandmasterminds.com/dc_adventures/

First off, the artwork is gorgeous.

I am liking the new layout, and i like the way they handled the sample of aquaman by noting his major variants (harpoon, water thingy hand) on side boxes, making it very easy to switch to any of these versions.
I am also liking the rule changes, i'm particularly glad that they are changing the grapple rules, and changing some feats into "maneuvers", with feats just being an enhancement over it. The new "affliction" effect haves me intrigued, as it could very well become a catch-all for a lot of odd powers, and still remain balanced.
From the sample encounter i can see the game will play out very similar to 2e, which is to say, very good.

Well I bought the DC Adventures PDF and it is looking nice so far. Although I'm not sure I agree with all the changes I'll have to say that some of the changes are nice improvements that will drastically help when adjudicating the game.

Has anyone else had a chance to get the book yet?

Have it, like it a lot. The game is more streamlined, and I like the powers/effects set-up. A lot of things are simply renamed, but there's some very good changes, too. A lot of stuff I'd like to house-rule into 2E, even if a group didn't convert to 3E.

Been taking a look at it (finally managed to con convince someone into mailing me the pre-ordered book, which means i now can peruse the PDFs.
  • Speed/carry/time tables have been tinkered upon and glued together, they are now much more uniform/practical
  • Bonuses and penalties are now reduced to +/- 2 and +/- 5, no more sea of minions all doing aid action.
  • There has been a re-arrangement, classification and specification of conditions.
  • Ruling on extra effort is now more clear, odd ruling for extra effort for movement/carry is gone (well, they are there, but they're no longer different than the standard boost to regular powers).
  • Using hero points to recover is now a different, hero points are no longer usable for double dodge.
Will start on the character creation chapter now...

more to the list:
  • Reflex and defense are gone, replaced by dodge and parry: one for melee defense, one for ranged defense and reflex. Dunno how i feel about this change, will need to playtest it.
  • Different caps and tradeoffs on saves, now called defenses. YES!, no more uncertainty on where to set defenses and what values are ok.
  • Attack/Damage tradeoff now officially recognized as a case-by-case instead of global.
  • Skill cap now based on total instead of only rank, nice.
  • Lots of skills grouped together to keep stuff simple, scientists and cha-buffers rejoice.
more later.

I like having ranged defense and reflex the same, that feels right. A meaningful skill cap is also nice, especially combined with a condensed skill list. If it weren't for the raised skill cost, I'd think maybe my characters could finally spend less than 20pts on powers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leons1701 View Post
I like having ranged defense and reflex the same, that feels right. A meaningful skill cap is also nice, especially combined with a condensed skill list. If it weren't for the raised skill cost, I'd think maybe my characters could finally spend less than 20pts on powers.
They said the change in skill cost from 1 per 4 ranks to 1 per 2 was because they combined skills so you now get more for less. I'm not sure yet how I feel about the smaller skills list. Basically it tends to minimize the ability to finely tune the characters and generally depreciates the importance of skills overall. With each new version they keep compressing the skill list so eventually there will be one skill.

Ah, in the case of int-based scientists it's excellent. With the previous model, trying to do a rightful representation reed richards or a batman was insane, and when you can't do such iconics well, there needs to be a change in the system.

With the new DC adventures you still will need to put a huge amount of skill points int the various Expertise (new name for Knowledge skills) to adaquatly represent Reed or Bats, only now you only get 2 ranks for 1pp intead of 4.

Ah, but if you read the suggested fields, they clumped a whole lot of them together, so reed richards now haves Expertise: Science instead of 8 craft and 8 knowledge skills. Add a lower cap for total bonus and you have a much cheaper result.