Pathfinder vs D&D 3.5 - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Pathfinder vs D&D 3.5

It's what D&D 4.0 should have been, IMO. Better rules for the skills, combat maneuvers, more balanced classes (though not perfectly, but better) and a lot more freedom when it comes to character creation. I like how so much variation is available within the individual classes, that it means you can build very different characters from the same base class without multiclassing. In 3.5, if someone said they had a lvl 5 rogue or a lvl 9 sorcerer and were playing core only, you could probably guess what they were bringing to the table. Not with Pathfinder. Makes unique characters easy to create, and having all of their content free online is just the cherry on the cake. Loving it as much as we do, most of the people in our group have bought the books anyway, but it's great to be able to look up a rule or class feature in full on the fly.

Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerK View Post
Also, Cleric domains have been given pretty big boosts in power and versatility. And some of the new base classes for PF are pretty nifty too...the Witch and Oracle are two of my favorites.
I am playing a witch in 3 different games, I think this class has great potential

Quote:
Originally Posted by paladinred View Post
I am playing a witch in 3 different games, I think this class has great potential
At-will Supernatural Sleep with no HD cap? Yeah, potential is one word for that.

Well, single-target sleep that, if they succeed at their save, the target cannot be affected by it again for 24 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftershock View Post
Well, single-target sleep that, if they succeed at their save, the target cannot be affected by it again for 24 hours.
Wasn't always that way. Heck, it wasn't that way 3 months ago.

Not sure where you get your information, but the slumber hex has been that way at least since the first printing of the Advanced Player's Guide, which I own a physical copy of and just double-checked now. The PRD agrees, so it hasn't been changed since then...
Quote:
Slumber (Su): A witch can cause a creature within 30 feet to fall into a deep, magical sleep, as per the spell sleep. The creature receives a Will save to negate the effect. If the save fails, the creature falls asleep for a number of rounds equal to the witch's level. This hex can affect a creature of any HD. The creature will not wake due to noise or light, but others can rouse it with a standard action. This hex ends immediately if the creature takes damage. Whether or not the save is successful, a creature cannot be the target of this hex again for 1 day.

I "got my information" from the PRD. I don't think that Pathfinder is a waste of time for no reason, I actually played a couple games before coming to that conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCodes View Post
I "got my information" from the PRD. I don't think that Pathfinder is a waste of time for no reason, I actually played a couple games before coming to that conclusion.
*shrugs* To each their own. Not sure where you got the "waste of time" thing, though, or why you came across as so defensive about where you got your information. I wasn't attacking you, I was just making sure the correct information was made available, and simply was curious as to where you'd heard or read the version of the slumber hex you were quoting your information from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greycloak View Post
The war and strength domain abilities are nerfed somewhat
Do you mean the abilities or the spells? Because in 3.5, the abilities were flat-out terrible. I'd hate to see what a nerf to them looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftershock View Post
*shrugs* To each their own. Not sure where you got the "waste of time" thing, though, or why you came across as so defensive about where you got your information. I wasn't attacking you, I was just making sure the correct information was made available, and simply was curious as to where you'd heard or read the version of the slumber hex you were quoting your information from.
Where else would it have come from? When a game system is made more-or-less completely free on the internet by the designer, is there really any reason to go to a source other than the designer's website for information about the game system?