How do you RP spell casting? - Page 4 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

How do you RP spell casting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber_Goddess View Post
Instead of using Hebrew, consider that if you're using elvish magic to use german. Elves fit the Aryan race the best.
A funny thing though. If you look at the Aryan race and what it is supposed to be, Germans aren't the ones who fit the best, it's us Scandinavian people with our blond hair, blue eyes and rugged builds.

So I would consider using Swedish or even the old Norse language to cast elven spells, especially if you are playing a druid.

In games where spells have verbal components, I usually use Ultima's power words. They are still, ten years or so later, so ingrained in my mind that 'Corp Por' still just sounds like 'hello' to me. Some of you will get that joke, most won't...

Not really sure how anyone can see elves as being a "master race." Especially in D&D, doubly so since 3rd Edition came around when their stats became god awful and very unattractive to players who didn't wanna kinda-sorta suck. Hell, if any race in D&D 3.5+ is a "master race," it's Humans. And that's just talking about their stats, nevermind their associated stories where, more often than not, they're a dying breed who've lost everything and are unable to keep up with the modern world; a world being ushered in by, you guessed it, Humans.

Foreign language spell casting is the method multiple casters use in the game I GM and as it is similar in style to how I play it (all of us likely having borrowed it from others on the site) I have no problem with it. One player does use non Latin which throws me off a little bit as I cannot imagine how that sounds but not enough that I make a big deal out of it. English translations/description/details appear in either mouse-over or OoC spoilers. I fail to see how this is different from how most GMs prefer combat descriptions with mechanical details in OoC. ie "I power attack with my greataxe" vs.

Ragnar raises his axe overhead and brings it down with a mighty swing, hoping to cleave the orc's head from its body.

Grim, it's about how the elves sees themselves and how they sees others. This has nothing the do with their stats but with their longevity and the fact that they arrived before the Humans.

But the question if they are or are not a master race is rather off topic anyway.

I also saw something about GMs not liking foreign languages. But when it comes to Spellcasting I see no reason for them to care as they don't need to understand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixFagel View Post
Grim, it's about how the elves sees themselves and how they sees others.
Oh... So, then, ORCS are the actual master race! Oh, wait, no, Dwarves! No, Giants! oh crap, EVERY race is the master race!

Problem solved.

Quote:
I also saw something about GMs not liking foreign languages.
Oh. Well, if not caring what anyone thinks is all that matters, why even ask, well, anything?

I tend to not like real-world languages mixed with my fantasy games, if only because it tends to lead to the over-generalization that my players place on the races they give those languages, like elves with german.

But, to be fair, the only other languages I know are Spanish, basic Japanese and just enough Latin to pretend to sound fancy. Really, most other languages sound pretty arcane to me anyways, if only because I can't understand a word they are saying. So, I suppose using them for magic specifically isn't too bad, as it's not like Japanese anime have a habit of using English for spell names and the like anyways .