Dr. Who discussion thread - Page 15 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Dr. Who discussion thread

I didn't mean to offend (I got into Doctor with the new series). But I've just now finished The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot, and well, they had guys on set, wouldn't it be hard to actually get some original footage? Colin Baker of course got really wide, but Peter Davidson and Sylvester McCoy are in pristine condition, collectors edition. And they already made mini with Paul Mcgann...

Finally got to see it. Not sure if I set my expectations to high or what. I felt a bit underwhelmed. I know I might get verbally abused by saying that but things just....seemed to fall a bit flat for me. Maybe it was the whole premise of hearing of the thing being in movie theaters in IMAX. Maybe it was the fact that John Hurt was involved and I was already teased with Paul McGann's cameo. I just seemed to be left wanting more. Not to say that it wasnt good, as I still enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnas View Post
Sylvester McCoy are in pristine condition, collectors edition..
Holy crap! How did I not realize that Sylvester McCoy is Radagast in the Hobbit?

I have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed as well. There were a lot of good bits...

But a lot of it was just references, references, references. Even in the beginning Matt suddenly just starts talking about Hurt when he barely said two words about him outside of the special. A lot of it seemed more Fanon-y and less Canon-y. I guess that's basically what the Christmas specials are for the most part though.

All in all, it was good but I wanted more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyePierce View Post

But a lot of it was just references, references, references. Even in the beginning Matt suddenly just starts talking about Hurt when he barely said two words about him outside of the special. A lot of it seemed more Fanon-y and less Canon-y. I guess that's basically what the Christmas specials are for the most part though.

All in all, it was good but I wanted more.
Could that possibly be because the 11th Doctor has spend a good deal of time quite obviously, and quite actively avoiding his past? 10th was more vocal about it, but he also got rather moody, broody, and depressing towards the end. But yes, there was a lot in there that was pretty much just there for the die-hard fans, but in the end I'm curious about this new direction of the show myself.

Yeah, 11th was definitely a little too loose tongued for my tastes. I'm definitely still jumping at the bit, don't get me wrong.

There's a whole lot of stuff that this got me excited for. I'm just disappointed that some of the scenes in the Special were a bit too fanservice-y. You've already got 11 and 10 doing their thing. You don't need to reuse lines of dialogue that we've already heard a dozen times over because we liked it so much we went for seconds.

Ugh never mind my previous comment, I see the issue now, going from "I'm actively trying to avoid my past" to "Well it's here, so lets talk about it!" is a bit odd, but to be honest, it didn't bother me during the actual episode, it was more like silly 11th being silly 11th.

Still I did like how the War Doctor contrasted with 10th and 11th, it both highlighted the sillyness, and gave the seriousness some added weight.

Am sad that

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneDesperado View Post
Finally got to see it. Not sure if I set my expectations to high or what. I felt a bit underwhelmed. I know I might get verbally abused by saying that but things just....seemed to fall a bit flat for me. Maybe it was the whole premise of hearing of the thing being in movie theaters in IMAX. Maybe it was the fact that John Hurt was involved and I was already teased with Paul McGann's cameo. I just seemed to be left wanting more. Not to say that it wasnt good, as I still enjoyed it.
Well we would hope that the series would want to generate that feeling of wanting more. There were concessions made in regards to massive, massive fan-service. Moffat is a giant fan boy, and he will place in as much of his fan service as he can in a 75 minute special. Granted he hinted his fan-service for the latter half of series 7 (season 7 for some). I mean, the return of the Great Intelligence, Ice Warriors, Clara being revealed to have aided the Doctor across all his previous life times. Definite signs of "Oh look, I want everything from all of Doctor Who to come back for the 50th, and let's have a companion who has been with the Doctor through all his regenerations".

I mean honest, largest amount of congested fan service EVER. Finding every easter egg in that special was a task that required at least 3 separate viewings to catch most of them. This special pays homage to the past and basically tells the audience where the show will be going for the next. We had our Doctor during the Classic era who was a mad man who was an absent-mind professor (more or less, I'm generalize to conserve time and space, huh a pun), the Time War happens, we have a war-torn battle-scarred Doctor (thank you Christopher Eccleston) and the progression of a war veteran. Tennant was coined as the hero, well he wants to save everyone if he can, wants to right wrongs when he can doesn't he? And then we have Smith's Doctor, the one who ran away from it all, keeps lying to forget everything. Lie enough and something becomes true as they say. The special I think was a way to finally break off that shell, and hinted that it's time to grow up (as per John Hurt's Doctor's final few words prior to regeneration).

Plus...it was 75 bloody minutes, if I wanted everything in my Doctor Who special, the darn thing would most definitely be 5 hours long. I'm greedy, I want alot of things out of my Doctor Who special, but I knew I was going to get it all in 75 minutes so I lowered some of my expectations and just wanted to at least be in the mindset to celebrate such an achievement. The bit in the end was the real threat out of it all (). My one wish out of the entire special was to have as many surviving Doctors be in the special, I wanted a mega 12 Doctor cast. If I am to believe the Five(ish) Doctor Reboot, then I got my wish in the most twisted way imaginable. Either way, it was wonderful nostalgia for me and I look forward to where the show plans to go next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaito Asuke View Post
Moffat is a giant fan boy, and he will place in as much of his fan service as he can in a 75 minute special.
The show is full of them these days... the asylum has been taken over.
  • Tennant went into acting so he could appear in Doctor Who
  • RTD was sticking references in his shows well before he was linked with it in the late 1990s.
  • Peter Capaldi wrote a letter praising the show to the Radio Times at the age of 15... in 1973.
  • Nicholas Briggs (Daleks and other monster voices) started off doing unlicensed fan audio dramas in the 1980s.