Familiar/Summonable Ally Help - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Familiar/Summonable Ally Help

Familiar/Summonable Ally Help

So for a game I'm going to be in shortly, I have a character who is a spirit mage, who can summon a spirit to help him. The idea I had was for it to act as a quasi-familiar, granting him a small energy reserve. Thing is, I'm confused as to how I build a familiar for GURPS, given my relative newness to the system.

The only thing I have nailed down for the Ally is Summonable and appears on a 15 or less. I have a minimum 14 points to build him on, and a maximum of 23 points I can spare for it.

YOu will want to buy the energy reserve for your character with the -40% limitation granted by familiar or alternatively there is an option from dungeon fantasy called drain familiar which is a -50% limitation and basically says that every point of Granted ER you use drains one FP from your familiar. IF you use either of these your familiar advantage itself needs the +50% for special abilities in addition to the +100% for summonable, you may also want a lmitation to bring the cost down, unwilling if it is a forcefully bound spirit or sympathy if both your well being is tied together

As to building the spirit just build it as you would a character based on the points the ally has available.

So what point value is your game starting at hand what percentage of that were you planning for your ally?

Well for the familiar aspect I was thinking Granted by familiar -40%, Magic Only -10%, and Recharges one point per hour -20%; for a -70% to each point of ER.

The game is 160/-80. I was thinking of maxing an Ally/Familiar at 75% of my points, as it is an Ally not a second PC for me.

The building it, I figured it was simply as a character but something about the wording of the familiar section has me confused, and I'm not sure why. Also, the text says that I should give it Special Abilities (+50%) if it grants (for example) extra FP, but a lot of the example builds I see on the SJGames forums don't actually give their familiars that. Neither does the example in GURPS for Dummies, as far as I can tell.

Hmmm, in those examples does it say that te familiar is supposed to grant extra FP? Maybe they are familiars but the don't grant anything beyond being there.

The ones given in DF4:Sages do use the special abilities enhancement as the are specifically meant to give ERs and such

Yea they do.

SJ Games
Quote:
Familiar [+11]
ER 8 (Granted by Familiar –40%; Magic Only –10%; Recharges one point per hour –20%) [+8]; Ally (Minion +50%; Sympathy/Auto-Kill –50%; 25% point total; available 15 or less) [+3]
GURPS for Dummies
Quote:
Ally: "Toby" the Wolpertinger
Familiar. Appears on 12 or less; grants 5 Extra FP; gives 2d Impaling Attack, Rapid Fire ROF 2

Sages...I have a friend who has that one. I'll take a peek at it, I only have DFs 1, 5, and 9.

I have noticed that a lot of things published by SJGames apparently fudges the rules for calculating point totals (Psionics drove me nuts on this one!), best rule for something complex enough to get differing answers from the publisher is ask your GM.

This is true, a lot of times, people "fudge" the rules to leave out or add on things that are more convenient point-wise.

You however, should follow the rules, and if your character gets extra FP, you should pay the 50% as the game was intended and designed for.

Doing otherwise is cheating by omission. I've seen lots of people do this, it's not a very admirable thing, especially since if you're creative with your point usage you can build some really awesome things with minimal points

Quote:
Originally Posted by World of L_Tiene View Post
Doing otherwise is cheating by omission. I've seen lots of people do this, it's not a very admirable thing, especially since if you're creative with your point usage you can build some really awesome things with minimal points
*nods* Yep. I built him, on what is so far my lowest point allotment (out of 3 games, so take it for what its worth). My favorite games are the ones with lower points, it makes me think, what does this character need?

Nice character, I'm not sure why your GM is letting you take Modular Abilities with both Spirit Power -25%, and Shamantic Gift -10%, seems kinda like double dipping.
I'm the GM and this is sarcasm. I have my reasons.
He must me a saint.