Countries / Parts of Countries Joining Another? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Countries / Parts of Countries Joining Another?

Countries / Parts of Countries Joining Another?

I don't know how often it happens; but on the opposite notion of parts of countries gaining independence, has there been cases of one country/part successfully merging with a second country?

I know the idea has come up with Canada in recent memory: Turks and Caicos once petitioned to join several years back, and we were stupid to not take them. I seem to think we're more recently re-offered, and now they don't want to.

In the last year or so, Greenland has hinted it might consider leaving Denmark for Canada - Canada is closer, has similar culture and demographics with our far-north communities, and Canada would be much better economically for them. ON the plus sides for Canada, with the arctic ice melting, it could be a huge increase in natural resources... would also lay to rest a sovereignty debate on a certain island both Canada and Denmark are claiming.

Has this happened anywhere else?

How about Newfoundland joining Canada? As I recall that only happened in the middle of the 20th C.
Switzerland kept adding cantons until a couple of centuries ago, Germany didn't even *exist* as a country, but was created by mergers of various smaller political/territorial units, Italy is actually quite a modern idea, as prior to its creation as a nation-state, it was a group of (at times antagonistic) city-states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggie2 View Post
How about Newfoundland joining Canada?
I look at that as more of a creative delay than anything else. Not every province joined Canada at the same time, just like not every State did either - Newfoundland joined before Hawaii or Alaska became a state.

Well, the California Republic (a revolt that lasted less than a month with no real government ever recognized by another), the Republic of Vermont (self-governed and self-recognized, but with no recognition by anyone else, including the Continental Congress) and the Republic of Texas were all technically nations that joined into the US. Most significantly, Texas existed for almost 10 years before joining the United States. In that time, it was diplomatically recognized by (according to Wikipedia) the United States, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, and the Republic of the Yucatan.

I realize this isn't exactly what you had in mind, and were looking for more of an "established" nation joining another. There are many events where one nation simply conquers another, but again, I believe you're looking for more of a "this would be mutually beneficial, let us join together amiably."

UK Acts of Union 1707, the Kingdom of Scotland joined with the Kingdom of England.

1st Congress of Soviets 1922, created the USSR.

It depends on what you call successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gygaxphobia View Post
UK Acts of Union 1707, the Kingdom of Scotland joined with the Kingdom of England.

1st Congress of Soviets 1922, created the USSR.

It depends on what you call successful.
And peaceful.

Recent and peaceful? Western and Eastern Germany.

Older and peaceful? Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. (first it worked merely as personal union with the same king)

Presumably the EU is on its slow way to create in a few decades a federation state.

Germany... would it count? They were a single country 70 years ago, and they were somewhat split against their will. That's more of a unification.

I'm wondering if the EU would start becoming larger and larger countries until just one big one exists. The only downside is the language barriers, although I'm fairly certain most people know at least some English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wippit Guud View Post
I'm wondering if the EU would start becoming larger and larger countries until just one big one exists. The only downside is the language barriers, although I'm fairly certain most people know at least some English.
And... you expect that a country made up of, say, Germany and Luxemburg would randomly decide to adopt English as their national language?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikul View Post
And... you expect that a country made up of, say, Germany and Luxemburg would randomly decide to adopt English as their national language?
I was thinking of a common language across the entire EU. I don't think many Spaniards speak German. Or Italians. Or Swedes.
But they all tend to know a little English.

It's not a big deal, really... hell, India alone has like 16 national languages. It's just usually easier to deal with fellow countrymen when you all speak the same language (I cite Canada vs Quebec for that)