My neck of the woods: Silencing Representitives - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

My neck of the woods: Silencing Representitives

At any forum for public debate such as the legislature there are rules on behavior and decorum. Violating them is usually giving up your right to address the assembly for a bit of time. There isn't anything unusual about this.

When Joe Wilson screamed "You Lie" to Obama, reprimanding him wasn't any sort of repression of free speech and neither is this.

For Neil Munro interrupting Obama's immigration announcements he is being taken to task also. There is nothing unusual about this story except that the topic she was speaking about is a bit touchy.

Can we see some proof that she compared the law to rape? I mean, I've seen her objections, and she calls it a "violation", but that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxanadu View Post
Now if she pulled out a gun and threatened to shoot people or did something violent. That would be another thing.
But as I said earlier, that, and actions approaching that, would also be worthy of repercussions more severe than 'silencing', such as her removal from the legislature and a by-election.

If she is not permitted to speak in the legislature, then her constituents are denied their representation. And that is a FAR greater offense than some crude choice of language in an appeal to emotion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkWren View Post
Can we see some proof that she compared the law to rape? I mean, I've seen her objections, and she calls it a "violation", but that's about it.
She said no means no, it's an anti rape slogan.

Well, seeing that the law as I've seen it calls for placing a foreign object inside a woman against her will, I'd say that it's really not that much of a stretch.

Not really Ben. Seriously, do you know what a transvaginal ultrasound actually entails?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't entail rape.... you do know what rape entails right?

Also, what does transvaginal ultrasounds have to do with anything? Nothing in the bill forces them to have a transvaginal ultrasound.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%2...e=2012-HB-5711

Someone sent me the wrong bill earlier then.

I'd suggest, as a general rule, double checking before casually tossing around accusations of rape. It is (was?) a fairly serious charge.