4E Feats Conversion and Creation - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

4E Feats Conversion and Creation

4E Feats Conversion and Creation

Here are my takes on the current Farland Feats. I think I covered everything here. Obviously, we can make new feats as time permits.

Arcane Thriftness
Paragon Path Feat
You have learned how to save money when it comes to casting rituals

Prerequisites: Ritual Spell Feat
Benefit: All Ritual Spells cast have creation costs reduced by 10%

Racial Diversity
Replaces Class Mastery Feat
Heroic Path Feat
You have spent a significant portion of your upbringing with a race other than your own.

Prerequistes: Must be level 1.
Benefit: You may take a racial feat from a race other than your own. Note that this only makes you eligible to take the feat. You must spend an additional slot to take the feat.

Dexterous Climb

Heroic Path Feat
You are a climber who relies on agility rather than brute strength.

Benefit: You use your dexterity score rather than your strength score when making climb checks. You also get a +2 bonus to climb checks. If your strength becomes higher than your dexterity, you can chose to use strength instead, retaining the +2 bonus.

Exceptional Healer

Heroic Path Feat
Your powers of healing are amazing.

Benefit: +2 to all healing surges you take. This feat stacks with other abilities and feats.

Greater Improved Critical

Paragon Tier Feat
You know how to use your chosen weapon to devastating effect.

Prerequistes: Weapon Focus
Benefit: Your damage on a critical hit made with a chosen weapon group increases by 1 die. 1d6 becomes 1d8, 1d8 becomes 1d10 and 1d10 becomes 1d12.

Improved Dodge

Heroic Tier Feat
You are good at dodging attacks.

Prerequistes: Dex 13
Benefit: Your receive a dodge bonus to your armor class against all melee and missile attacks. A condition that would make you lose your dexterity bonus to AC (if any) also makes you lose dodge bonuses. This bonus stacks with all other bonuses.
1st-10th level - +1 bonus to AC
11th-20th level - +2 bonus to AC
21st-30th level - +3 bonus to AC

Magical Reserves

Heroic Tier Feat
You can call upon your own inner strength to cast spells.

Benefit: Sacrifice all of your remaining healing surges. When you do this, you regain one daily power you used this day. This does not function if you do not have any healing surges left.

Reckless Strike

Heroic Tier Feat
You are capable of ignoring your personal safety in order to injure your opponent.

Prerequistes: Con 13
Benefit: On your action, before making attack rolls for the round, you may chose to take a -4 on your armor class and add half that number (2 or less) to all melee attack rolls. This number may not exceed your base attack bonus. The penalty to armor class apply until the beginning of your next turn. You may not use this feat in conjunction with power attack.
This extra damage increases can increases with level, as noted below.

Level Extra Damage (Two Handed Weapon)
1st-10th +2 (+3 Two Handed Weapon)
11th-20th +4 (+6 Two Handed Weapon)
21st - 30th +6 (+9 Two Handed Weapon)

Shield Grand Master

ParagonTier Feat
You skills with a shield are amazing to behold.

Benefit: When taking the total defense action and using a shield, you may gain cover from a single opponent of your choice and damage reduction equal to the shield bonus provided by the shield against that opponent's attacks. Both bonuses last for 1 round and are in addition to the normal benefits derived from total defense.

Skillful
Heroic Tier Feat
You are skilled where members of your profession usually are not.
Benefit: Chose one skill. This skill becomes a class skill for you.

The following feats are already in place in 4.0
Armor Focus -- Now Armor Specialization
Greater Worldwind Attack - Now Wandering Tornado (Ranger 27)
Quickstep - Now Fast Runner
Shield Master - Now shield specialization
Toughness - Toughness

The following feats are not applicable in 4.0
Ranged Accuracy
Studied Sneak Attack
Tower Shield Adaption
Tower Shield Adaption, greater

Mass Combat Rules should be updated -- and Mass Combat feats reworked into a paragon path for the Warlord.

Steam Weapon proficiency is NA, as Steam Weapons need to be re-written as Superior Ranged Weapons.

Looking good, though I'm sure we can find some things to tweak. First comment:

With magical reserves, why wouldn't you just wait until you had one healing surge left to use the feat? It would then cost very little.

You could absolutely do that if you chose. However, if you did it would mean you've already had the crap beat out of you and are on your last legs -- being out of healing surges is a HUGE detriment.
Since it is limited to 1/day usage (since it uses all of your remaining healing surges), I don't see it as being much of a balance problem. Besides, if you get down to 1 healing surge and put all of your energy into a daily spell, then it would be kind of a cool climax.

Please, feel free to critique and change away...

I'll look at some of these when I get to my books. I'd say Arcane Thriftiness is not good enough. Otherwise, looks good.

I think the whole mass combat system may need to be overhauled extensively for 4e.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arholly View Post
I think the whole mass combat system may need to be overhauled extensively for 4e.
I agree... and since this is one of the more popular parts of the site, we will have to put a lot of time and energy into it to make it perfect.

Universal point, as I've seen it a couple times through this, it should be heroic/paragon/epic tier, not path. Also, you don't need prerequisite: Level 1, as that's a given. Unless Farland includes for Level >1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
Arcane Thriftness
Paragon Path Feat
You have learned how to save money when it comes to casting rituals

Prerequisites: Ritual Spell Feat
Benefit: All Ritual Spells cast have creation costs reduced by 10%.
Unless ritual spells are something in
Which I know nothing of, but trying to offer some balance here.
Farland that I don't know of, I assume you mean Ritual Casting.

It should read "Ritual Caster Feat" and "Benefit: Reduce the component costs of all rituals by 10%." It might also work better as an epic level feat as this can be pretty strong.

Quote:

Racial Diversity
Replaces Class Mastery Feat
Heroic Path Feat
You have spent a significant portion of your upbringing with a race other than your own.

Prerequistes: Must be level 1.
Benefit: You may take a racial feat from a race other than your own. Note that this only makes you eligible to take the feat. You must spend an additional slot to take the feat.
Class mastery feat? Never heard of it. till then, I'll say this is slightly broken, maybe needed to elevate to paragon tier. Unless it's meant to be taken only at level 1. It's certainly an interesting idea. It limits itself half the time though, which is nice (due to a lack of racial powers in a lot of characters.

Quote:

Dexterous Climb

Heroic Path Feat
You are a climber who relies on agility rather than brute strength.

Benefit: You use your dexterity score rather than your strength score when making climb checks. You also get a +2 bonus to climb checks. If your strength becomes higher than your dexterity, you can chose to use strength instead, retaining the +2 bonus.
Looks good to me, but make it a feat bonus, not untyped, so it doesn't stack with other feat based abilities. Also, should read "You can use your dexterity modifier instead of your strength modifier when making athletics checks to climb." Other idea is replace athletics check to climb with acrobatic checks.

Quote:

Exceptional Healer

Heroic Path Feat
Your powers of healing are amazing.

Benefit: +2 to all healing surges you take. This feat stacks with other abilities and feats.
Should read as "You regain two additional hp when you spend a healing surge."

Quote:

Greater Improved Critical

Paragon Tier Feat
You know how to use your chosen weapon to devastating effect.

Prerequisites: Weapon Focus
Benefit: Your damage on a critical hit made with a chosen weapon group increases by 1 die. 1d6 becomes 1d8, 1d8 becomes 1d10 and 1d10 becomes 1d12.
I like the idea here, but maybe reword it as "Choose a weapon group that you have selected for a weapon focus feat. When you maximize damage due to a critical hit with that weapon group, you can treat the weapon's damage die as one size larger. A d6 weapon die would increase and maximize to an 8, a d8 to 8, 2d4 to a 10."
Also maybe bump it up to an epic tier feat.

Quote:

Improved Dodge

Heroic Tier Feat
You are good at dodging attacks.

Prerequistes: Dex 13
Benefit: Your receive a dodge bonus to your armor class against all melee and [s]missile[/s] ranged attacks. A condition that would make you lose your dexterity bonus to AC (if any) also makes you lose dodge bonuses. This bonus stacks with all other bonuses.
1st-10th level - +1 bonus to AC
11th-20th level - +2 bonus to AC
21st-30th level - +3 bonus to AC
I can't think of a time when you'd lose your dex bonus. Maybe make it "You lose this bonus whenever you are slowed, immobilized or against an enemy you are granting combat advantage to.

Quote:

Magical Reserves

Heroic Tier Feat
You can call upon your own inner strength to cast spells.

Benefit: Sacrifice all of your remaining healing surges. When you do this, you regain one daily power you used this day. This does not function if you do not have any healing surges left.
Make it paragon and make the demand of at least 2 healing surges remaining. Otherwise, you'll get to the end of the day, lose one healing surge for a daily. Seems a tad broken otherwise.

Quote:

Reckless Strike

Heroic Tier Feat
You are capable of ignoring your personal safety in order to injure your opponent.

Prerequistes: Con 13
Benefit: On your action, before making attack rolls for the round, you may chose to take a -4 on your armor class and add half that number (2 or less) to all melee attack rolls. This number may not exceed your base attack bonus. The penalty to armor class apply until the beginning of your next turn. You may not use this feat in conjunction with power attack.
This extra damage increases can increases with level, as noted below.

Level Extra Damage (Two Handed Weapon)
1st-10th +2 (+3 Two Handed Weapon)
11th-20th +4 (+6 Two Handed Weapon)
21st - 30th +6 (+9 Two Handed Weapon)
Written for 3.5e rules, not 4e. Again, unless Farland has a whole set of crazy mods.

I think I'll stop here, not only because dinner is ready but also because I'm thinking I need to research Farland 4e

Thanks Kits... Just to clarify, we are reworking existing feats from 3.5 to 4.0... Please continue to critique and advise -- we could really use your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune Tsuki
Class mastery feat? Never heard of it. till then, I'll say this is slightly broken, maybe needed to elevate to paragon tier. Unless it's meant to be taken only at level 1. It's certainly an interesting idea. It limits itself half the time though, which is nice (due to a lack of racial powers in a lot of characters.
It's a Farland feat. The intent was for this to only be taken at level 1. Do you still think it is broken? In essence, it requires 2 feats to take one racial feat, as it . If itonly gives you the ability to take it. If it is not clear as written, please help me clarify that.

I made all changes except the following... Let's discuss these -- have no problem making changes, but want all to be in agreement.

Dexterous Climb - Should this include acrobatics?
Greater Improved Critical - Changed as suggested, but did not make an epic tier feat.
Reckless Strike - The intent here is to use the same mechanics as used for Power Attack.

I figured it was a lot of 3.5e feats that were converting over. I was trying to put them more in 4e jargon and in some cases, the mechanics.

For the racial diversity, I'm starting to think it balances itself. Mostly because half of the racial feats require other racial benefits. I mean, dragonborn senses or hellfire blood in a dwarf or eladrin isn't game breaking, right? I don't think they need to even pick it up at the first level though. Just make them decide on the race and prevent it from being retrained to a different race.

Quote:
Dexterous Climb - Should this include acrobatics?
Greater Improved Critical - Changed as suggested, but did not make an epic tier feat.
Reckless Strike - The intent here is to use the same mechanics as used for Power Attack.
Dexterous Climb: I think using acrobatics instead of athletics would make it easier to keep track of, along with the +2 to acrobatic checks to climb.
Reckless Strike: Reword to this-
Whenever you attack, you can decide to use this ability. You take a -4 penalty to AC and can deal additional damage based on your level. The penalty to AC stacks each time you use this power. When attacking multiple enemies with a single power, you take a single penalty and the bonus applies to all damage rolls. This ability does not stack with the bonus from Power Attack.

Level | Extra Damage | (Two Handed Weapon)
1st-10th | +2 | (+3 Two Handed Weapon)
11th-20th | +4 | (+6 Two Handed Weapon)
21st - 30th | +6 | (+9 Two Handed Weapon)

Or something like that.

I'll work on the others in a minute.

Quote:

Shield Grand Master

Paragon Tier Feat
You skills with a shield are amazing to behold.

Benefit: When taking the total defense action and using a shield, you may gain cover from a single opponent of your choice and damage reduction equal to the shield bonus provided by the shield against that opponent's attacks. Both bonuses last for 1 round and are in addition to the normal benefits derived from total defense.
Drop the damage reduction, not only because it's the wrong term but also because I think it's a little much. Instead make it a heroic tier feat. Possibly add a paragon feat that grants you superior cover on a total defense action.

Quote:

Skillful
Heroic Tier Feat
You are skilled where members of your profession usually are not.
Benefit: Chose one skill. This skill becomes a class skill for you.
Unneeded. Class skills are only important at the first level and you could just take skill training at the first level to get a non-class skill.

Quote:
The following feats are not applicable in 4.0
Ranged Accuracy
Studied Sneak Attack
Tower Shield Adaption
Tower Shield Adaption, greater
Could I get an idea of how this feats work, in 3.5e, so I could try my hand at them?