Zombie Inconsistency - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Zombie Inconsistency

Quote:
Originally Posted by leons1701 View Post
Where properly care for means cleanse it with FIRE!
lol I was thinking a bullet to the head, but that works too.

I foresee a future human race where every corpse is cremated or has a hole drilled in its head immediately after death, but the reason for the tradition is lost to history; until somebody decides they're going to buck tradition, gets his face eaten off, and the ZA starts all over again.

I don't know that a single bullet in the head will stop a zombie. Traditionally yes, but who knows for sure. I'm am pretty certain that a properly cremated body will not be coming back to gnaw my face off.

If we're considering zombies as they're typically portrayed, a bullet (or anything else, really) through the head is a OHKO. And considering the migratory nature of some of the survival groups during the ZA, burning bodies might fall to the wayside in light of the simplicity and speed of just shooting them.

Course, this sort of gets into another debate altogether about whether the aftermath will result in a society rebuilt, or retain the anarchist nature borne from chaos.

Maybe zombies are simply evil and like the taste of human flesh.

Anyway, walking dead isn't about the zombies but about the survivors. It's a psychological story about how fear of zombies basically drives civilization to collapse. Bandits do more harm than people - as is shown, they have weapons, and their evil lets them whipe out the defenseless and each other that much faster.

Zombies on the other hand? Are slow, and don't reproduce. If they do (life to unlife transformation) they're so stupid that they might eat one of their own in the process. There's no way nature intended to allow them to continue living - unless, they can manage to evolve in the next decade or so before they all become extinct due to isolation from proper prey.

The final explanation is a rather... a different take altogether. The disease that turns someone zombie is a very complex mutation - rather than genetically changing the person somehow (what disease/abnormality actually does that, unless you were born with it?), it lends intensely psychotic insanity.

The body is fueled by adrenaline (it never rests), 'forgets' all pain, and basically just continues. Effectively, it'd require a lot of energy to keep going. Somehow, the mutation allows the body to produce a lot of adrenaline and forget all else.

Essentially, the fear mechanism takes hold and the social detectors common in the brains of all humans is rewired - the zombie recognizes other zombies and is 'afraid' of people (as much as a mostly brainless automaton of decaying flesh can be); it's fight or flight reaction is to always fight and to eat and flight is written out of the equation. It sniffs not for the decaying smell, but the pheromones of humans. So the sexual chemistry of a zombie is probably rewired as well. Certain basic instincts remain, such as audio comprehension - so it responds to loud noises.

Well, that's my explanation. Come up with another one, if you like.

Quote:
.......I would love to see a modern day zombie show that ended with a crazed necromancer wizard who had been around since 0A.D trying to perfect his craft.
"Oh yeah... no. Who me? Yeah... no. I'm a wizard, though. Yep. Been uh... been engineering the zombies for X years now. Yes, I worked in Y office down the street, that's not the point! The point is... now, here's the point. You're all going to die, because uh... because, I'm gonna engineer an even worse virus for you meddlin' kids - *is shot*"

:P

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfUndead View Post
.......I would love to see a modern day zombie show that ended with a crazed necromancer wizard who had been around since 0A.D trying to perfect his craft.
What about a Dresden-esque setting where a necromancer is experimenting with different ways to raise the dead, and a zombie created with an especially aggressive strain of magical virus kills the necromancer and gets loose, killing at will, and ultimately creating the zombie apocalypse?

It would create a type of zombie that won't die out after a certain amount of decomposition (and depending on how you play it, could mean that they can't be killed by your typical shot to the head).

Set the zombies aside for a moment, and take a more believable zombie-type setting.

How come people with Rage in 28 Days Later didn't just attack each other?

Disease affects the brain and produces a pheromone that wards off the killing instinct, not unlike hive insects have to distinguish between nests. This way the disease both protects itself and propagates- there's no reason to try to infect the already infected- you have to go after "fresh" hosts to make it as an infectious species.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leons1701 View Post
I don't know that a single bullet in the head will stop a zombie. Traditionally yes, but who knows for sure. I'm am pretty certain that a properly cremated body will not be coming back to gnaw my face off.

Some of the street drugs out there do some pretty weird things. I know people have talked about the bath salts before, and, while I don't want to get too technical, I'll describe a call we had last month:

Over active imaginations and weak stomachs beware.