Getting People Into D&D - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Getting People Into D&D

I am starting a campaign right now with 4 of my room mates. I have never played a single second of an MMO RPG (WoW, Everquest, etc.) and they know that. But one day they were all starting to talk about their characters on WoW and League of Legends. And I started telling them how to better maximize their characters and what role they should be playing when in group activities. It blew their minds and they asked how I knew of this and have never played. I said, "Because I play the Mother to all RPG's, the one they took all of the concepts from". I had them right then and there.

PS. If they are already LARPing on their own and haven't figured out they are nerds...they may be the most oblivious people ever.

And then start them with 4.0 (I swear 4E was designed to convert video game players)

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisjeaton View Post
PS. If they are already LARPing on their own and haven't figured out they are nerds...they may be the most oblivious people ever.
Oblivious of what seems obvious....is most people's definition of a nerd....

reddir, self-admitted nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddir View Post
Oblivious of what seems obvious....is most people's definition of a nerd....

reddir, self-admitted nerd
Really? Cause mine starts with LARPing...

[Sarcasm] Really?Cause mine starts with LARPing[/sarcasm]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
just get cooler friends

those guys sound like losers
Harsh.

Friends are a treasure, try not to lose the ones you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisjeaton View Post
Really? Cause mine starts with LARPing...

[Sarcasm] Really?Cause mine starts with LARPing[/sarcasm]
Technically, almost anyone who goes into a job thinking s/he will be CEO or VP within 2 years....LARPing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Just make them realize that they are already dorks, so they might as well give it a go.

If they are really impressionable people, just show them a video of Vin Disel talking about D&D, that will shatter their reality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36_-DauQi0s
That. was. #OSSUM.

And spot-on, too.

I just brought over two converts during thanksgiving. They enjoyed it a lot. I agree that a lot of people would like this game if they got into it. It has a very specific social image though. Also for some reason I keep picturing people drinking mountain dew while playing this game in the basements around the world.