4E Feats Conversion and Creation - Page 5 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

4E Feats Conversion and Creation

I like limiting Magic Reserves to "magic-y" type classes. With the Druid as another Controller option right around the corner, I think limiting the manipulation of magic items to folks focused on matters arcane makes sense.

Alternately, require Ritual Caster as a prerequisite instead of a specific class or power source. That way, if a Fighter wants to dump
Skill Training (Arcana) or Skill Training (Religion), Ritual Caster, Magic Reserves
3 feats to be able to recharge a magic item, he can.

If we're worried about stepping on the Artificer's toes, here's the class feature from the playtest article:
Arcane ReplenishmentYour study of magic items has given you the ability to manipulate the power contained within such objects. You can restore energy drained from a magic item. During a short rest, you can recharge an item’s daily power. You can recharge an item that has a level less than or equal to your level + your Intelligence modifier.

You can use arcane replenishment once per day, plus you gain one additional use for each milestone you reach. An item can be recharged by arcane replenishment only once per day.

Based on that, I think we may want to tweak the feat to be a bit more restrictive. How about this:

Magic ReservesPrerequisite: Ritual Caster
Effect: At the end of a short rest, spend a quarter of your maximum healing surges. If you do not have enough healing surges, you lose hit points equivalent to your healing surge value for each healing surge you lack. Instead of regaining HP from spending healing surges, you can recharge the daily power of a magic item in your possession.

You may recharge an item of your level or lower. An item may be recharged only once per day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenyx View Post
Question: At epic tier, will money still have value to a PC? Of course, a 10% cost reduction is the only way an enchanter character will ever be able to sell his items for a profit. I have the same concern with alchemy.
Even with a 10% reduction in materials cost, PCs will NEVER be able to sell items for profit. Market value is 20% of the cost of the item (PHB, p223), and it costs the same amount to buy or enchant an item yourself. Consider:

A Level 5 item costs 1,000gp to buy or enchant, but sells for only 200gp. That's an 800gp loss. With Arcane Thriftness, the cost to enchant drops to 900gp, but the item is still Level 5 and still sells for 200gp. That's only a 700gp loss - but it's still a loss! PCs will almost always be better off either upgrading an existing magic item or converting it to residuum via the
which costs 25gp in materials
Disenchant Magic Item ritual. That residuum can be used to offset the cost of further enchantments or ritual use.

Arcane Thriftness doesn't apply to Alchemy, either, as Alchemy is an entirely different animal than ritual casting. The 20% sale price still applies to alchemical items, however. If a Level 1 Alchemical Acid bomb costs 20gp to make, it will only sell for 5gp.

Okay, I took the advice about magical reserves and made the changes.

EDIT: I took the advice of Sith and changed improved dodge (and called it Agile Dodge). Check it out and give comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMorganes View Post
Even with a 10% reduction in materials cost, PCs will NEVER be able to sell items for profit. Market value is 20% of the cost of the item (PHB, p223), and it costs the same amount to buy or enchant an item yourself. Consider:

A Level 5 item costs 1,000gp to buy or enchant, but sells for only 200gp. That's an 800gp loss. With Arcane Thriftness, the cost to enchant drops to 900gp, but the item is still Level 5 and still sells for 200gp. That's only a 700gp loss - but it's still a loss! PCs will almost always be better off either upgrading an existing magic item or converting it to residuum via the
which costs 25gp in materials
Disenchant Magic Item ritual. That residuum can be used to offset the cost of further enchantments or ritual use.

Arcane Thriftness doesn't apply to Alchemy, either, as Alchemy is an entirely different animal than ritual casting. The 20% sale price still applies to alchemical items, however. If a Level 1 Alchemical Acid bomb costs 20gp to make, it will only sell for 5gp.
So you think Arcane Thriftiness is okay as written then, or still potentially abusive?

Also, is the consensus on reckless strike that granting combat advantage for a +1 feat bonus to hit with melee weapons is broken?

FYI - I'm fine with the arcane thriftness feat as
Obviously, since I wrote it
originally written, but I know others were concerned about it. If no-one objects strenuously, I think we could keep it as is.

Ritual caster is fine to me as written either way.

Instead of improved/agile dodge, how about something like this:

Avoidance
Paragon Tier Feat
You are good at avoiding specific enemies.
Prerequisites: Dex 17
Benefit: As a minor action, choose an enemy that you can see. You gain a +1 feat bonus to AC and Reflex against that enemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMorganes View Post
If a Level 1 Alchemical Acid bomb costs 20gp to make, it will only sell for 5gp.
Nice math there.

Quote:
Racial Diversity
Heroic Tier Feat
You have spent a significant portion of your upbringing with a race other than your own.
Special: This feat may only be selected at Level 1.
Benefit: You may take a racial feat from a race other than your own. Note that this only makes you eligible to take the feat. You must spend an additional slot to take the feat.
The wording is a little off. Try: Choose a race. You count as that race in addition to your own for the purposes of meeting prerequisites for feats. You do not gain any other benefits that race would have gotten.

Quote:
Exceptional Healer
Heroic Tier Feat
Your powers of healing are amazing.
Benefit: Increase your healing surge value by +2.
Just remove the + there.

Quote:
Avoidance
Paragon Tier Feat
You are good at avoiding specific enemies.
Prerequisites: Dex 17
Benefit: As a minor action, choose an enemy that you can see. You gain a +1 feat bonus to AC and Reflex against that enemy.
I like this more than Improved Dodge as-is, but it'll probably only be useful for rogues and Dex fighters. I'm not sure who you're targeting the feat at, so...
Anyway, you'll want to put a duration on that. Is the bonus until the end of the encounter? Forever? One round?
Quote:
Shield Focus
Paragon Tier Feat
You skills with a shield are amazing to behold.
Benefit: When taking the total defense action and using a shield, choose an opponent and gain "Resist All x" against that opponent's attacks, where x equals the AC bonus provided by your shield.
"When taking the total defense action and using a shield, choose an enemy you can see. You gain resistance equal to your shield bonus to AC against all attacks by that enemy."

On Avoidance, I'd also specify that you many only use it against one enemy at a time...

I like Sith's verbiage on Racial Diversity and Shield Focus

Alright, i made those changes. Check out avoidance here. I said it lasts until the start of your next turn, so you have to basically use a minor action every turn.

I don't really see a problem with using two minor actions a round to "avoid" two enemies at once. And if you use three, why not just take Total Defense? I suppose you could avoid two and Total Defense in the same round...

Here is a conversation that pertains to our racial diversity feat.

We probably need to limit the races that this applies to -- or the sources.