Character opinions - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Character opinions

Character opinions

So I have seen for a few years that people who want to play a character exactly like the character from a T.V show/anime/manga/and other media.

The question is, if the player wanted to play a character exactly from a show that you knew, are they unorginial or is it just me?

It depends. A lot of people use T.V. characters as inspiration, which is just fine. But if they rip off directly, and I was the DM, I'd punch them in the face and yell, "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!"

Usually unoriginal but sometimes you can take the concept from a character in existing media, flesh out the character and make it your own.

If it's from anime/manga they're always unoriginal, and also dweebs.

me, I once drew inspiration from Harry Dresden, Elric, Conan, Batman, and Sun Tzu, and rolled it into a ball that resulted in an undead steampunk nazi ninja. my god, that was a fun character.

The difference between being a moron and basing a character after something is in how you play it.

I admit to direct lifting a character from an anime once. I'm still playing the character. It's a combat only game, so it's not roleplaying heavy (otherwise I'd be screwed). But it's a way to incorporate elements that you like into the game. Plus, I can post pictures to describe my actions

I've also taken ideas from shows, books, art and the like. Sometimes I'll recreate the character to fit in the setting, or something I'll steal their powers or personality. I play what I like.

It's not unoriginal in the least. I think it's enhances the game experience in some ways, as it lets you relive something else you like.

Of course, a bad character is still a bad character.

I'm still waiting to play an Aya Shameimaru-inspired sexy magic combat journalist.

Quote:
The difference between being a moron and basing a character after something is in how you play it.
That's basically how I feel about it, though I will say that if not given some kind of personal twist, (IE finding some way that it doesn't stick out extremely obviously that you're somebody's expy) it can be grating regardless of skill.

I had a PC who strongly based his character on the (old school, mostly) Joker. I had some reservations at first, but he played the joker of Sigil very well. It can work with very good writers/roleplayers who take care to adapt the concept to the setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meek View Post
I'm still waiting to play an Aya Shameimaru-inspired sexy magic combat journalist.
And I'm still waiting to play an Alice-inspired secluded shut-in that uses dolls for all of her spells. We should really get a Touhou game started or something.

Anyway, the points above are all fine. I'm kind of queasy about dealing with people that lift characters directly off of games, but it really depends on what you're expecting in the first place. A "fan-game" would be perfectly acceptable. At any other moments, I'd usually try and see if they are putting a new take on the character they're copying or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windscar18 View Post
We should really get a Touhou game started or something.
My problem with that is I'd want to play, but the instant anyone finds out my touhou power levels they'd want me to DM.

God I'm guilty of this. Pretty much any Elizabth Moon book I read gives me an idea for a character. I've had a fighter modeled after Paksenarrion (Just couldn't get paladin to work) from The Deeds of Paksenarrion series, then a necromancer spin off (It'd take some explaining). Finally an assassin modeled loosely after Ky Vatta from the Vatta's War series.

Now, if I went and just basically made a paladin, named it Paks, then went on to do everything exactly like the character from the book. Well, I'd expect my GM to shoot me. That’s just copying IMHO, not creating. But the characters I made after reading these books weren't copies. More like Inspiration. Elizabeth Moon may be my muse.

Theres a difference between making Ichigo (from the Bleach anime/manga) and making a guy who fights to the bitter end but never really gives it everything he's got until someone important to him is threatened. One is the blue print for an interesting fighter/whatever. The other is a popular anime character.