Who is the best choice for the Mojave? - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Who is the best choice for the Mojave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkWren View Post
God, I hope Bethesda lets Obsidian make another Fallout game. Or, even better, just starts hiring them as the sole Fallout development studio, since Bethesda has a large publishing wing in addition to its development studio.
Why not just sell the IP to someone who knows what they're doing (Obsidian)? I mean, we're already wishing for miracles at this point; might as well dream big.

Quote:
God, I hope Bethesda lets Obsidian make another Fallout game. Or, even better, just starts hiring them as the sole Fallout development studio, since Bethesda has a large publishing wing in addition to its development studio.
Yes, this please, a million times this. Nothing broke my heart more in Skyrim than the way the quality of writing and storylines fell compared to Fallout NV. Bethesda is great at building immersive worlds and filling them with awesome-looking characters and creatures, but not so good at giving them interesting believable characters that I can actually get attached to and care about. If they gave Obsidian all the assets to the next Elder Scrolls game and let them write it, I would buy that game in a heartbeat. As it is, all Bethesda games are now 'wait two years for all the DLC and get it cheap' for me. I'm not even going to bother with Fallout 4 until next November.

On the other hand, I have played some Obsidian-only games, and while the writing was great, the gameplay was.... eeeeehhhh. Those two studios are two halves of a greater whole, in my opinion, and it's a damn shame they aren't working together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Why not just sell the IP to someone who knows what they're doing (Obsidian)? I mean, we're already wishing for miracles at this point; might as well dream big.
Money. Would you sell your own personal mint? I think not. That said, with enough fan support, Bethesda has shown that they can work with Obsidian, and I think that would be great for the franchise. I honestly regret purchasing 4 when I did - I've never felt that way about a Fallout game before.

Quote:
Money. Would you sell your own personal mint? I think not. That said, with enough fan support, Bethesda has shown that they can work with Obsidian, and I think that would be great for the franchise. I honestly regret purchasing 4 when I did - I've never felt that way about a Fallout game before.
That's why I was saying things about miracles. I know it's not possible, but Todd Howard... I don't know how the man can approve a direction away from what 94% of fans (according to steam) absolutely loved. It just... it doesn't make sense.

And yeah, I regret buying F4. I'm just hoping the modding community can make the game worth playing again. I'm probably just going to go back to New Vegas. It just... was such a better game. Haven't played it in so long, I think I've forgot where some things are or how to do a few quests (I have a near encyclopedic memory about such things... but almost never about academic pursuits; the pain is real), so I might truly enjoy again. Hell, might as well do Legion again. As a female just to make them angry. Culture Clashes are always fun.

I will say, I highly doubt Bethesda will ever make a character as deep and mentally plagued as Joshua Graham.

Quote:
I bought Skyrim on release, and after that decided I would no longer buy any Bethesda games that weren't more than two years old. Between the bugs and glitches, the way it was clearly optimized for consoles at the expense of the PC versions, and the bad writing... It was a whole year before enough mods came out that I was able to actually play it, and by then all the DLCs had come out and the whole thing was half the cost as the original without DLC. Lesson learned the hard way.

Quote:
And yeah, I regret buying F4. I'm just hoping the modding community can make the game worth playing again. I'm probably just going to go back to New Vegas. It just... was such a better game. Haven't played it in so long, I think I've forgot where some things are or how to do a few quests (I have a near encyclopedic memory about such things... but almost never about academic pursuits; the pain is real), so I might truly enjoy again. Hell, might as well do Legion again. As a female just to make them angry. Culture Clashes are always fun.

I will say, I highly doubt Bethesda will ever make a character as deep and mentally plagued as Joshua Graham.
If you're thinking of trying New Vegas out again, you might well benefit from my mod list. I focus on lore-friendly mods that add new quests, NPCs, and areas to explore. These all play nicely together, more-or-less, but I've gotten into the habit of quick-saving before I enter any door or load any new area just in case.

Stars are next to the ones I would not play without. As far as quests go, the Someguy Series (New Vegas Bounties 1, 2, 3, and a few others) are really the best ones out there that I've found. Fully voiced, well written, they feel like they could have been part of the original game.

Ah, Project Nevada. That's a mod one should always have. But yeah, I think it's time to brush off the dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastForgot View Post
That's a... prodigious list.

I think the only game I had a similar modlist for was Dragon Age: Origins.
You should see the one I have for Morrowind. XD

I think I topped out at... two hundred-ish mods? Just kept adding new content. Although there's some great voice acting out there, I am still a little sad so many RPGs have moved to voice rather than text-based dialogue. It makes it a lot harder for modders to come up with quests that integrate seamlessly into the existing world. You either have subtitles with no voice, or your NPCs speak in one voice for general dialogue and then a different voice for quest-based dialogue, which definitely breaks immersion.

I've been thinking about replaying DA:O, but I've only played through the vanilla version. Mind sending me your list if you still have it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzle View Post
I bought Skyrim on release, and after that decided I would no longer buy any Bethesda games that weren't more than two years old. Between the bugs and glitches, the way it was clearly optimized for consoles at the expense of the PC versions, and the bad writing... It was a whole year before enough mods came out that I was able to actually play it, and by then all the DLCs had come out and the whole thing was half the cost as the original without DLC. Lesson learned the hard way.
See, I picked up Skyrim at launch and loved it. Same things were true for New Vegas, 3, and Oblivion. So I was very disappointed by 4's lack of depth. Worst part was that it took me about 20 hours to realize why I was so dissatisfied - I knew I wasn't enjoying it as much as I wanted to, just took me a while to figure out why.

If the Modding Community of FO:NV would give me the option of conquering the NCR with whichever faction I chose at the end of the Main Quest that wasn't NCR(Or a more subtle approach and displace those corrupt officials.), then I'd be in Heaven, and would probably Side with House. As it is, my best choice, is Wild card in favor of NRC tourism and a decent price for power.

I did find 4 to be, Minecraft in high def. at times. Weak plot, substandard difficulty without the overkill of Survival, and let's not even talk about those lost Skills and Levels... Todd Howard left me very sad. And then, even sadder with only three content DLC's, one of which relies on a Side Quest (if you want the decent Dialogue trees anyway.) that leads to a massive outnumberings of Raiders, Mirelurks and my favorite bullet-sponges, Super Mutants... And you charged me $50 for a season pass... For Point Lookout, Operation Ancorage and the Pitt. (Because we don't need Broken Steel style this time or Mothership Zeta... Where the Heck are my Aliens???) Effectively. Sorry, that's a $30 season pass kiddies. (Rant over.)