Scum Villages - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Scum Villages

Scum Villages

So, apparently Amsterdam has actually set up something based on a 2011 campaign schtick where "persistent troublemakers" can be forcibly removed from their homes and put in, apparently, storage containers. Now, you can make a pretty nice home out of a storage container, but, I'm gathering that's not exactly the idea in this location.

Of course, anyone with more information on the law and it's applicability, or any "on scene" thoughts I'd be particularly curious to hear from.

The Original Story

Not sure how I feel about that, but my initial reaction is that it's kind of funny. Serious thoughts will follow.

That's not even remotely cool. First and foremost punishing entire families is not acceptable. Ever.

Two a punishment like this isn't remotely acceptable for non-criminal acts. If someone is engaging in non-criminal behavior you don't like? Too damn bad. Deal with it. Maybe sue them if they've done something civilly actionable. Or find some non-criminal way to cope. But other than that, you are SOL.

This is blatant oppression. The people supporting this should be ashamed of themselves. The people who carried this out should be ashamed of themselves. If the national laws don't make this blatantly illegal (unconstitutional as we might say in 'Murica) they need to be changed.

Noise violation and vandalism are crimes. I expect this is normally dealt with fines or possibly jail time if the offenders refuse to comply with authorities, so this does seem like a rather . . . creative approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoh View Post
Noise violation and vandalism are crimes. I expect this is normally dealt with fines or possibly jail time if the offenders refuse to comply with authorities, so this does seem like a rather . . . creative approach.
The article specifically states that it is for non-criminal behavior, so these people aren't committing crimes. Honestly, this sounds like a good excuse for rounding up so-called "undesirables" and putting them in an internment camp. The fact that the first family transported to this complex is Roma has a very strong hint of racism. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of these families turn out to be Roma or immigrant families, since there's a lot of xenophobia in Amsterdam and the Netherlands in general. Still withholding judgement, but my initial reaction is: "Did you people learn nothing from the Nazis?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkWren View Post
"Did you people learn nothing from the Nazis?"
Seems like they may have learned just enough to be scary.

I did miss that article about the "non-criminal behavior" part.

My follow-up question would be what constitutes non-criminal behavior? Specifically I'm wondering if they're lumping misdemeanors in there, cos that would make a big difference in the justification of their actions. The first article states that the family was the source of a number of disreputable actions, such as repeated noise violations, vandalism, and threats. Some of these would be considered misdemeanors, so it doesn't seem like they were completely innocent. Not that I'm condoning the government's plan, mind you.

I'll admit the first thing that crossed my mind when I heard it was a gypsy family that was forcibly moved was that it might be racism. The Rom aren't popular among Euros from the things I've read.

Yeah, I was giving them the benefit of the doubt on that one. Horrible abuse of the poor, or Nazism II: Electric Boogalo? You decide!

From the third and fourth paragraphs of the original article:

"Eberhard van der Laan, Amsterdam's mayor, admitted that the removal of the family was a draconian measure but insisted that bullying and violent behaviour had left him with no choice.

"The family has been causing problems for years and has a history of vandalism, noise nuisance and threatening behaviour," he said."

Sounds like they're neighbors from hell. Good riddance. I love the kneejerk accusations/insinuations of racism, because it couldn't possibly be that these people are assholes deserving of what they get.