Fox News Banned From Canada for Lying - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Fox News Banned From Canada for Lying

The US model is for those they have lied about to sue for libel. time for the class action lawsuits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroak View Post
The US model is for those they have lied about to sue for libel. time for the class action lawsuits...
Which under US law also can have the unfortunate requirement of meeting "Actual Malice", meaning demonstrable harm has to be shown. If they just lie about news stories (omitting facts, promoting the whole birther conspiracy, etc.) or call a college student a slut because of a stance on birth control, they can usually get away with it because demonstrable harm just isn't possible to show in court for these cases.

Well, I do agree with that law. Now if there was a way to change it so that every politician has to speak the truth as well, then I'd move to canada, and I'd let Bieber live right next to me if he wanted.

Huh. Here in the States we have this freedom of speech and freedom of the press thing. It's even for people who say things we don't like - like reporting on nutcase conspiracies, or pointing out holes in the defense against said conspiracies. I can't say I can really see justifying banning a company that one side of the political spectrum or the other claims lies. That... ends poorly.

@ Valiyn: You should hear what they say about conservative women. Limbaugh saying that someone who essentially wants to be paid for sex is a slut, a prostitute, is pretty tame compared to some of the things I've seen.
Heh, speaking of skewing facts to make a story.

Freedom of the press =/= freedom to further your own agenda through the press. Which is exactly what politicians like to do. Of course they will always find a way to lie to us. So.... Whatever.

Ban which group? Reporters of the so called "news" or dirty politicians? I'm down worth either option.

Yes. Of course, after the cable news and dirty politicos, perhaps we should go after the radio - or those pesky celebrities who like to talk about politics. Once we're done silencing them, let's go make sure those blogs are speaking only the Truth - the truth according to us, that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
Huh. Here in the States we have this freedom of speech and freedom of the press thing. It's even for people who say things we don't like - like reporting on nutcase conspiracies, or pointing out holes in the defense against said conspiracies. I can't say I can really see justifying banning a company that one side of the political spectrum or the other claims lies. That... ends poorly.
Surely that's not what's being said, though. They are simply rejecting the efforts to repeal a law against lying through broadcast news. And because of that, appearantly, FOX news can't broadcast news in Canada. It's not really about FOX news despite this, though....