Help with a powerhouse build? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Help with a powerhouse build?

Help with a powerhouse build?

Here are the stats for Obsidian, the first 3rd edition MnM character I've played in a full campaign. I am still relatively new to mutants and masterminds so I got a few questions regarding the build;

1) Is she strong enough to represent a very inexperienced (i.e. PL 10) Darkseid equivalent?
2) Given what she's supposed to be (a teenage goddess of strength/destruction), is there something you'd change in the build?
3) Any glaring weaknesses I am not aware of?
4) Where should I put any future character points?

OBSIDIAN - PL 10
Image removed as it violated MW content guidelines
Abilities 32 + Powers 107 + Advantages 4 + Skills 3 (6 ranks) + Defenses 4 = 150

Name: Kiera Ailill Rhiannon
Alias: Obsidian, Shadowspawn (derogatory)
Race: Fomorian/Tuatha hybrid, Balor's and Rhiannon's line
Symbol: A silver eye inlaid in a black disc.
Costume: black swimsuit, taken out of high-depth diver's gear for both durability and looks.

BACKSTORY
One of the youngest members of the House of Rhiannon, Obsidian was born seventeen years ago in a realm some call the Summerlands, others Faerie or Avalon. A member of the Tuatha De Dannan, ancient deities that ruled over the British Isles and much of northern Europe in prehistoric times, she was born with the features that have given rise to legends about elves; tall, graceful, perceptive, beautiful and pointy-eared. For thirteen years, she lived happily with her family in a world of magic. But when she turned thirteen, her dormant powers awakened.
In the times of Antiquity the Tuatha's greatest enemy were the Fomori; a race of near-giants with immense strength against the Tuatha's grace and innate evil powers against the Tuatha's magic. The greatest of them, Balor of the Evil Eye, almost destroyed the Tuatha with his ability to slay, destroy or petrify with a glance before he was slain and the Fomori driven back. At the time, quite a few unions of Tuatha and Fomori occured, not all of them consentual. Balor's slayer was a result of such a union himself and the major Tuatha families carry that bloodline ever since. It can be a boon of strength or resilience sometimes - but it can also lead to abominations.
In Obsidian's case, the girl's grace turned to strength and invulnerability that matched full-blooded Fomorians and she grew from the Tuatha average of five eight to six foot six. Her skin turned black and to someone lacking equivalent strength it became as unyielding as polished obsidian. The magnitude of her change spoke of a powerful Fomorian in her ancestry and when the girl accidentally turned a sparring partner into an obsidian statue that, unfortunately, lacked her own body's animation, her family realized who was the distant ancestor she inherited her powers from. Obsidian's ancestry caused significant strife within the family and eventually the family elders decided it would be best if she no longer lived among them. They opened one of the ancient portals that let to Ireland and sent her to live in Earth at age fifteen.
Obsidian had trouble adjusting to her new life. Fifteen years made her practically a little girl in a race of immortals but short-lived humans treated her as growing close to adulthood. Adding her differences - it is hard to conceal obsidian skin and pointy ears - and her lack of familiarity with technology and you get some fairly hectic first year. Obsidian soon realized that while her powers were above average in her homeland, they were downright unbelievable on Earth. She learned that acceptance, something she never had in her own world after her powers emerged, as well as glory could be earned if she helped save the weak from danger - but that it was best to keep her real identity, even her existence, a secret if she didn't want authority to intervene.
Deciding to move somewhere she could make a new start without dangerously exposing herself and also wanting to move away from the country with the strongest link to her ancestral homeland, she moved to the New World. Finding a boat -they called them ships or even ocean liners nowadays- to carry her was easy when she did a few favors for a guy helping immigrants start a new life abroads. Avoiding the US and their rather strict immigration control, she arrived in Mexico a few weeks before her seventeenth birthday...

COMPLICATIONS
Origin: A descendant of Balor, ancient king of the Fomorians - a race of demons and giants - and Rhiannon, a noble Tuatha De Dannan - an ancient race of fey deities. As such, Obsidian might be recognized by those with knowledge of the supernatural and, given her ancestry, cause interesting reactions
Curse of Balar: As all descendants of Balar that breed true to her grandfather's blood, Obsidian is cursed with a timeless body of stone, the punishment and revenge of the Tuatha on those having the power to petrify others. The curse didn't alter her power but it did change the way it manifested and while being a bit tougher than normal might be a boon, is it truly worth it being singled out for one's appearance?
Age: Obsidian is a seventeen-year-old girl. In human terms that would be legally adult but for a race of immortals, she is still terribly immature.
Motivation: Obsidian believes in perfection of oneself and always seeks to test herself in doing the most difficult things imaginable. Like heroes of legend, she performs heroic deeds more to get glory and prove herself rather than do good. As such, morality is an iffy issue with her.
Prejudice: Coming from a realm where magic has replaced technology, Obsidian is highly prejudiced against its use. While she has been learning to accept fairly common things - like modern household devices and traffic lights - she still has trouble with more complicated machines.
Temper: Obsidian is rather headstrong and opinionated. She does not like being wrong or being told that she is wrong and gets angry when things don't go her way.
Relationship: Obsidian has a certain appreciation for boys her age - or older. She is a rather straightforward flirt and is strongly attracted to capability, not just good looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial666
ABILITIES [32 pp]
Strength 10, Stamina -, Agility 1, Dexterity 0, Fighting 1, Intellect 0, Awareness 6, Presence 3
DEFENSE [4 pp]
Dodge 1, Parry 1, Fortitude immune, Toughness 19, Will 10
ADVANTAGES [4 pp]
Very Attractive, Favored Environment: Urban/Wasteland
SKILLS [3 pp]
Perception 4 (+10), Insight 1 (+7), Persuade 1 (+4/+9)
POWERS [107 pp]
Farseer: Extended Vision 3, activation 1 [2 pp]
Dread Gaze [42-point array, str-damage AE included, 46 pp]
. . Force: Enhanced Strength 5, Ranged 15, Accurate 3, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Lifting 5, Homing 2, Improved Critical 3, Reversible.
. . Death: Ranged Damage 12, Accurate 4, Secondary Effect, Increased Range 2, Homing 3, Improved Critical 4, Variable Trigger 1
. . Destruction: Prerception range Damage 8, Cloud Area, Increased Area 1, Secondary Effect 7, Senses: vision penetrates concealment.
. . Petrification: Affliction vs Will 4 (dazed/stunned/transformed), Cone Area, Secondary Effect, Cumulative, Progressive, Selective, Perception (cover), Limited: close range, Increased Area 5, Reversible, Quirk; full-round action
. . Curse: Variable 8, attack theme, limited to single target
Obsidian Form [59 pp]
Impenetrable: Protection 19, noticeable
Timeless Body: Fortitude Immunity, Limited; also immune to beneficial effects (can't be externally healed, boosted, teleported, further augmented or otherwise receive beneficial effects by others), noticeable
Skin of Stone: Impervious 19 vs nonenergy, Immunity: Power Attack, noticeable
Divine Bloodline: Regeneration 11, Persistent 1, Immortality 1

I don't know what a Darkseid is, but just looking at the numbers I've noticed one thing that I think is worth pointing out:

Your Petrification Affliction is next to useless in a PL10 game if you've only got 4 ranks in it. It'll only be useful against targets who have a Will save of 4 or less, and even then only 50% of the time, so I'd find a way to up the ranks for sure. You don't need Cumulative and Secondary effect on top of Progressive, for example. Also I'm not sure why you'd have Limited: close range (which means within reach) if you've increased the area so much. Affliction is already close range by default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBelial View Post
Limited; also immune to beneficial effects (can't be externally healed, boosted, teleported, further augmented or otherwise receive beneficial effects by others),
-It is doubtful that a GM will allow this as a Flaw. Teleport does not require a Fort save (and this "Limitation" also makes you immune to enemy Teleport attacks). And since you have no Stamina, you can't be healed externally anyway.

Quote:
Immunity: Power Attack
It is also doubtful that a GM will allow you to buy immunity to attack maneuvers. It doesn't fit the descriptor and it doesn't make much sense thematically. It's a bit like buying "Immunity to players who roll above a 17" or "Immunity to people who swing harder."

There are some other issues that you better check with your GM first (no descriptors, especially on the variable). Burying all of your attack bonuses in your arrays. The extreme trade-off. Etc. I wouldn't allow any of those things, but every GM is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Since you have no Stamina, you can't be healed externally anyway.
I've never seen this before, Law. Is this due to typical healing descriptors? Or is it a property of having Absent Stamina?

Depending on how the GM runs the game, probably a combination of both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M HH, 57
Creatures with no Stamina suffer and recover from damage like inanimate objects
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M HH, 110
Healing does not work on subjects unable to recover on their own, such as creatures with no Stamina rank or inanimate objects.
I would not rule out the possibility of someone buying the Healing power with the "Only Works on Objects" Flaw and appropriate descriptors to model a super-repair power in certain games, but normally I would not allow a very expensive immunity to be flawed with "Good stuff doesn't work on me either" . . . when most of the "good stuff" doesn't work on this character anyway, because of other character design factors.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by M&M HH, 110
Healing does not work on subjects unable to recover on their own, such as creatures with no Stamina rank or inanimate objects.
Aha, that was the part that I had missed. Thanks!

Quote:
I would not rule out the possibility of someone buying the Healing power with the "Only Works on Objects" Flaw and appropriate descriptors to model a super-repair power in certain games, but normally I would not allow a very expensive immunity to be flawed with "Good stuff doesn't work on me either" . . . when most of the "good stuff" doesn't work on this character anyway, because of other character design factors.
No arguments there!

A single rank of regeneration allows normal recovery. She has more than one rank so she heals normally.

As for that immunity factor, flavor-wise it comes from her curse; her body rejects helpful effects of all kinds so that nobody could remove the curse on her or aid her. That means no helpful teleportation, no beneficial transformations, no healing, no buffing from ritual magic or supertech gadgets, no inspiration bonuses, no luck rerolls from allies, nothing. That isn't limited to fortitude effects or other descriptors - just like immunity to magic would not allow helpful magic to work regardless of what defense it targets - and malign effects work normally i.e. an enemy could teleport her into a trap just fine. I guess I should have written it up like a separate immunity that's actually harmful. Something like this;
Immunity: Fortitude [30 pp]
Immunity: all beneficial effects regardless of type or descriptor [-15 pp]

For the Immunity: Power Attack it was one of the contested points in the build - I decided to follow your advice and remove it. Though, I have been considering some weird immunities for a Lord of Chaos and a Lord of Order character. I.e. Immunity to even rolls for Order, Immunity to odd rolls for Chaos.

The descriptor would be Chaos, Divine for her powers in case that it matters (forgot to add it).

The attack bonus being in the array costs 3 pts - as much as Ranged Attack: Eyebeams skill of +5 (2,5 pts) so I didn't think it would matter.

The tradeoffs are a point or two from the official Batgirl's build only towards toughness and strength instead of skill and dodge. Damage 2, Attack 18 for example (which can become damage 9 attack 9 with advantages and weapons). That part I ran by the GM for approval before anything else.

Quote:
A single rank of regeneration allows normal recovery. She has more than one rank so she heals normally.
One Rank of Regeneration does not, however, allow the character to be healed, just to recover "at the normal rate" (or faster with more than one rank, which was my point).

Quote:
That means no helpful teleportation,
For the most part, this is going to have no real negative impact on the character, just on the game. Superhero games move from "panel to panel" at the rate of the slowest character, and that's going to be you with no movement powers. But you will find easy ways around it (flying characters will carry you, etc.), making getting points back for this way over done. This is probably better modeled as a Complication.
Quote:
no beneficial transformations
Do any of the other characters have beneficial transformation powers?

Quote:
no healing
She can't be healed without a Stamina score, but she recovers from damage conditions at a crazy rate. If you were the GM, would you allow a character to "purchase" a Flaw "Can't be healed by outside means" and then let them buy Regeneration 11? I wouldn't, but everyone is different.

Quote:
no buffing from ritual magic or supertech gadgets, no inspiration bonuses, no luck rerolls from allies, nothing.
Do any of your allies actually have these powers? Are those "buff" bonuses all capped by PL (because she hits all of her caps that matter, she wouldn't benefit from capped buffs and bonuses even without this Flaw)?

Immunities and Flaws are both priced based on how frequently a benefit or a liability will actually happen in-game to the character. This is how the GM should be pricing this. Unless these kinds of things are going to come up all the time to her severe detriment, this looks like a Complication to me.

Quote:
The tradeoffs are a point or two from the official Batgirl's build only towards toughness and strength instead of skill and dodge.
These two are not the same . . . at all. You've built a character that has a +19 Toughness save that heals damage every round in a PL 10 game. The GM is going to have to break out the +19 damage bad guys and hit you with them multiple times per round, just so you can get a little taste of risk in combat. How will the other PC fare against those opponents? If your GM allows that . . . good for her, but I think it is a mistake. I wouldn't want to play in that game, but again, everyone is different.