Using Successes in Mage the Ascension - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Using Successes in Mage the Ascension

Using Successes in Mage the Ascension

Found this perculiar ruling in the core rulebook I have that has me confused.

Say for Example I have Forces 3, allowing me to throw Fireballs at my enemy.

On page 208, there is a chart titled Magical Feats. On it, it reads:
"Impressive Feat - 4 Successes Required"
"(Blasting someone with fire, forcing someone to perform an action, altering someone else's shape in a minor way)"

On Page 209, there is another chart with regards to how to spend successes. At the bottom of it is reads:
"Example of Total Scoring: A mage scores four successes on a vulgar fire blast. Two successes are used for damage, so it inflicts five levels of aggravated damage (four for the successes, one for a Forces Effect, aggravated for fire). One success is used because it's affecting a target other than the mage, and the last success is used to strike an additional target. Two targets are struck, each taking five levels of aggravated fire damage."

--- --- --- --- ---

Now one table says I need 4 successess to make the magic happen, while the other table reads as if I can pull off the effect with just 1 success (to hit the guy, but for no damage).

Does this mean to throw a fireball at a guy, and do minimum damage... I would need 6 success? 4 to make the effect happen, 1 for damage, and 1 for the target?

I know it doesn't mean, "score 4 success first, then you can spend them how you want" because activating magical sights on yourself, (no damage, last for 1 turn (6 seconds), affecting caster) cost no successes from the chart on pg209, but DOES cost 1 becuase the chart on pg208 says they need 1 success to activate.

I know this one is a year old, but no one else answered.

I always interpreted that as 4 total successes needed to make the feat "Impressive". For example, you couldn't achieve the feat above without a minimum of 3 successes (1 for additional target, 1 for effect, and 1 for range). Now that effect would do 3 levels of damage, which is statistically slightly more than a campfire worth of effect. Not exactly "impressive".

It may not be what was intended, but it lets you actually use the successes chart and have it make sense. Otherwise, Mage combat becomes statistically impossible with anything but hung effects, so interpret loosely.