Great Minds

The woman studies you for a long moment in silence, the small symbol-like things continuing to float around her. After a moment the sound of a voice enters the hall. "Come. We will be late." The voice is female, and it was definitely audible, not in your head, but her mouth did not move at all.

"Ah. Right. We'll be right behind you. I just need to go over a few things with our new friend here," Sarius says, not surprised by this previous oddity in the least. The woman's eyes cross over you once again, but she merely nods and walks away down the hallway that Shinobu left down as well.

Sarius waits a few moments after Umina leaves, watching her go the entire time, before letting out a breath you didn't notice he was holding. "Puha~. That lady has this... pressure about her, know what I mean?"

Teddy watched the woman walk away and thought, 'Dang nice lookin but she needs to lighten up some.' Then at Sarius exhalation he turns and looks at him once more and answers his question, "Yeah I kind of felt something, I guess. I thought it was just in my head though. Does she ever smile, oh and I am really curious about those things floating around her what were they. I have never seen a machine like that before, some kind of floating camera or something?"

He pauses letting Sarius answer that and then asks, "So what do we need to go over?"

"Smile? Can't say as I've ever seen that woman show any emotion. I did see the Unown get annoyed at something once, but it's kind of hard to tell where they begin and she ends. Oh. Those were Unown flying around her by the way. Like I said: living, not human; Pokemon," he says with a grin.

"Oh and I don't have anything to say. I just didn't want to walk to the council chamber with her."

At the statement that the weird things floating about the lady were pokémon Teddy is momentarily stunned and just looks at Sarius as if were a crazy man. After he gets over the initial shock he says, "Okay you definitely need to define living for me because we obviously have different definitions for that word." As he got started it all sort of just came out in one big rush, "Where I come from life is pretty boring, I guess because while we give names to machines like cars called Mustangs, computers called Macs, cameras" he gestures in the direction the lady went, "called Hero3. None of them, absolutely not a single one of them would we ever consider to be a living thing and here you're telling me that those small flying machines that you do not even know the name for are supposed to be a living thing. I mean by living are you saying that if it moves then its alive? Or might I encounter some pokémon that never move, I mean we have animals that don't ever really move... like uh... barnacles for instance and I'm sure there are other things that we have that are alive that don't move. Wait are all trees pokémon, I mean trees are alive and they're not human, as far as know? And... and while I'm at it what was wrong with her," again he gestures down the hallway, "I mean okay so she's a bit of an emotional turtle, I actually got that, but have you ever tried to get to know her, I mean really get to know her. Shoot she might be a hoot... uh.. well yeah... once you get her to open up... that is. Besides its not like she's hard on the eyes and its fairly obvious that she wants others to look at her and at least appreciate her rather... nnnoticeable... assets. I can't really say why she chooses to... uh... display nearly all her feminine charms but the one thing I have come to learn about people is that you should not judge them by their covers... or... auras. I mean you should take the time get to know the pages within. Who knows you might be pleasantly surprised and what you discover."

He pauses and realizes he had just want on a rant, "Umm sorry, I didn't mean to get on a soap box. I um... I'm... I'm a bit stressed... I think... maybe? I do like you and I appreciate you taking the time to be friendly to me... a total stranger, its just... just rather a lot to have to absorb in such a short span of time."

Sarius stands silently for a moment and then bursts out laughing. "Haha. And Aya gets on me for going off on tangents. No, no. I'm sorry. I shouldn't laugh. You're right. You're under a lot of stress at the moment and I can't say it'll get any better till we get you out of this palace. Can't hurt to let it vent a little. And better I take the brunt than Grin or someone else that'd have your mind tied up in knots faster than you could say Abra."

He schools his mirth and continues. "Alright. First, I'll point out that I do know their name. They're called Unown." He spells it out so that you know the difference. "Next, they're not machines, they're... well, they're kind of magical letters. Runes, basically. Though you'd be right that they don't exactly share the normal definition of life. Getting into the meaning of life is a little heavy for casual discussion, so I'll put it this way: minus a few exceptions, all Pokemon have will. It may be instinct, it may be actual intelligence, but it is will. A tree, a flower; these things have life, but no will. But if that tree or flower moves, has life, has will, then it is a Pokemon. There are some Pokemon that rarely move, yes, but you can still sense their will."

"As for Umina, it's... hers is a very complicated case. And it has a lot to do with the Unown that you saw with her. I mentioned the council was in a strange position at the moment and a large part of that is due to her presence on it. As far as getting to know her? I'd say I know about as much as there is to know. I've known her for nigh on 500 years now. And... well... she is a looker, I'll give you that, but I can assure you that she doesn't give one lick about how she looks. If Grin hadn't personally overseen the production of that dress, I have a feeling it wouldn't cover anything at all."

He blinks for a moment. "In fact, I've never seen her in anything else. I wonder if she has more than one of them. Or when she washes that one... No. Sorry. Sidetracked."

He smiles again. "There are a lot of eyes and ears in this place, even if you can't see them. I tell you what. We go meet the council, both of us manage to behave long enough for Grin to let us go, and I'll answer any question you have, at length, when we get to the lower quarter. As it is: the sooner we get through that council meeting, the less Grin will grill us, and the sooner we can stop pretending to listen to his nagging and get to something akin to productive."

He gestures towards the hall that Umina left down. "After you, good Hero."

Teddy listens and just notes that this place just keeps getting weirder and weirder. Pokemon that are called Unown because folks probably didn't know what to call them since they, logically speaking, really do not make much sense as a life form. He could just envision the nearly comedic scene that took place in their naming them. Then your supposed to be able to tell something is alive by sensing its will, okay that was going to be an interesting lesson if he could even learn it that is. Then this guy who looked like a young man was well over 500 years old as was that hot girl that if what he says is true would walk around completely naked if she had her way. What do they like have a really short calender year, or do they actually live that long. Then he's told big brother and/or sister and/or pokémon is watching and listening. Jeesh that's enough to make someone paranoid. He was not relishing meeting this Grin guy, he sounded more Grim than Grin. "Huh? You want me to lead," Teddy points at himself, "we're definitely in trouble now but alrighty then."

He turns and begins walking down the hallway. Suddenly he begins to softly recite ominously, "A hallway, a hallway, a hallway onward, into the chamber of death walked the valiant two. Weirdness to the right of them, craziness to the left of them, the great Unown in front of them. Boldly they strode, and well, into the jaws of death itself, into the mouth of hell, strode the valiant two. Yes weirdness to the left me, craziness to the right.." Then he softly broke into a song and with a slight smile he turned and pointed to Sarius, "and here I am stuck middle with you" walking backwards down the hall he continued with the song, "and I'm wondering what it is I should do, its so hard to keep this smile from my face, losing control, yeah I'm all over the place," he weaves a bit in the hallway, "Weirdness to the left of me and craziness to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with you. Trying to make some sense of it all, but I can see that it makes no sense at all, is it cool to go to sleep on the floor, 'cause I don't think that I can take anymore, weirdness to the left, craziness to the right and her I am stuck in the middle with you. yeah I don't why I came here tonight, I got a feeling that something ain't right, I'm so scared I guess I'll fall off my chair, and I'm wonderin' how we gonna get down stairs, ooo weirdness to left of me craziness to the right, an' her I am stuck in the stuck in the middle with you, yeah stuck in the mid.. uh" He abruptly ended his impromptu song as he bumped into the doors.

"Huh, guess we're here, wish me luck." He gives Sarius a thumbs up gesture and then turns and puts his hand on the door handle. To say Teddy was scared was an understatement the bravado in the hallway was the only thing that had kept him from running and screaming in the opposite direction and now he was here. He felt like he was going to die. 'Well its now or never Teddy, remember you signed on to be the hero so you better start acting like one even if you don't feel like one,' he took a deep breath and opened the door and walked in.

Nah, I can work with it this time. I'd just ask you to refrain from details like that in the future.
OOC

Sarius appears to be humming along with the song. Perhaps they have a similar tune in this world. He seems to be enjoying it, though.His happy smile radiates the feeling that he has a love for music.

As you reach the doorway and open them, Sarius follows you inside to a small chamber. A very short hallway, populated by two guards who no more than nod at your approach, leads to a large, cylindrical room that extends several stories upward. There appears to be another room above you with a stained glass ceiling, but there do not appear to be any stairs or anything leading up to it. As you step into the center of the room, you notice that there are two types of stone on this floor. The first, ringing the room, is identical to the stone making up the hallways that led to it, while the other is a darker, reddish-colored stone circle that appears to be the same material, just a different color. It's really the first indication you've seen that this entire place wasn't carved from a single enormous stone.

Almost appearing to grow out of this darker stone is a small pillar that reaches about waist high. As the two of you step onto the circle, Sarius places his hand on the top of the pillar. It glows for a second and then with a smooth, soundless motion, the circle separates from the floor and begins floating upward. Though you do not hear or see any machinery to indicate it, his appears to be some kind of elevator.

As it nears the top, Sarius turns and says, "Well, this is me wishing you luck. Don't let Grin intimidate you or he'll walk all over you."

"Okay." Teddy looks around, "so your not coming with, got it." He gives a sigh.

Does there appear to be a means of exit? It sounded like the "elevator" was toward the center of the room which would (in my minds eye) mean we are standing on a platform with no place to go except to step off and fall kind of thing.
OCC