Rules Question - "Explicit Content" - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Site Discussion

Do you have questions, suggestions, feedback, bug reports or other concerns? Post them here!

Rules Question - "Explicit Content"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonrifts View Post
The Walking Dead is actually a bad example...
Fair enough. Although I used it as an example because I have had games veer into that level of... explicit-ness? No further than that, but it is a good marker for my level of comfort for 'game rating'. And until today I was unaware that it would be against the rules.

House is a good example though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
We don't take well to unnecessarily detailed descriptions of "graphically dismember[ing] a mage" either… but I don't see that injecting a stim, your character smoking a joint, or getting together with a prostitute is necessarily graphic or explicit - it can be implicit, and that's exactly what they do in "primetime TV". Acknowledge it's there, and skim over it.
Awesome reply, thanks very much for the clarification *smokes a joint to celebrate*

I think the Walking Dead was good enough as an example but really nobody needs to worry too much. Apply common sense and you won't go far wrong.

If you have overstepped the mark enough to offend someone then we'll look at it, if we feel it's unacceptable you'll certainly find out but provided you address the issues that'll be the end of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitationer View Post
Honestly, even if you aren't you should be.

You can't know someone's intentions. The only way to maintain any set of rules, as fallible humans, is to punish actions and not intentions.
I don't think the rules are quite that important. It means more work, and accusations of uneven enforcement, but I prefer to take each case on its own and to have zero tolerance for zero tolerance

The whole thing can probably be summed up as "Don't embarrass Rigo."

Or perhaps, "What would Rigo Do?"

Well is Game of Throne considered primetime (don't live in US to know when it airs)? It has a bigger emphasis on sexual content and gore than most primetime.

Game of Thrones is HBO, which means you have to pay extra to get it on your cable service, and therefore it is easy to choose not to have that channel and therefore not to have that kind of TV programming in your house. I'm guessing that running a game with the level of explicitness in the first season of Game of Thrones is probably over the line, and there are probably quite a few scenes in the GRRM novels that would also be.

They are basically saying don't be purposefully explicit, don't play A Serbian film the game.

But certain cable shows ( anything on fx, syfy, amc) are actually the style of games most of us are shooting for. Sometimes there's some extreme violence or some colorful language maybe even some sordid situations but they're handled with taste. And when possible they frame it and hint at it rather then showing it.

However some pay cable shows would be great like the wire, Rome, boardwalk empire, and a game of thrones they never delve into purposefully explicit. However for running a game here using those shows as a basis or an influence one would have to hint at rather then show a few things that's all.

Now given this is just my opinion but as the mod's have stated there's no hard and fast rule here just try to stay teen rated and use common sense.

The only thing I worry with is people ( other users) with different views then my own deciding something I've done is questionable and reporting it based on their moral values rather then the site's guide lines.

All that said I trust you guys, but if a heart needs ripped out or someone seduced in my games it will be happening Mwah ha ha ha. . . .

Quote:
The only thing I worry with is people ( other users) with different views then my own deciding something I've done is questionable and reporting it based on their moral values rather then the site's guide lines.
Reports don't hurt anyone (except the time budget of staff); staff is going to decided whether to act on a report or not - and staff judges based on site rules.