Templates - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Site Discussion

Do you have questions, suggestions, feedback, bug reports or other concerns? Post them here!

Templates

Templates

Did a cursory search of the site with Google, and checked the wiki request section and did not see anything like my request, so here it goes.

Basically this suggestion/feature request boils down to being able to create templates as part of a character sheet, to quickly modify a sheet in a specific manner. Primary uses would be scenarios where a character can change shape, and uses certain forms quite often(druids, lyncanthropes, doppelgangers, wizards). Instead of having to either memorize and change the sheet or have multiple sheets, one can just apply the template for the duration of the change, and then remove it to return back to normal.

For now, should I go with separate character sheets for a Halfing Rogue Werecat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonReed View Post
Basically this suggestion/feature request boils down to being able to create templates as part of a character sheet,(...) can change shape, (...)
For now, should I go with separate character sheets for a Halfing Rogue Werecat?
Not commenting about the feasibility of such a thing as I lack the knowledge to answer it but as a workaround, you could create a second sheet for the alternate form, generate its statblock and copy-paste that statblock to your primary sheet, storing it in the "other notes" or "private notes" section.

It's not feasible under the current system but probably will be under the new system.

We're still working on the new system so it's worth thinking about how this idea would fit in the overall system. Can you give us some idea how you think this should work ... start with what the interface is like, what happens to extant values and what happens on each toggle.

Not saying we'd implement it but now is definitely the right the time to be thinking about how it might integrate into the larger system.

If I had to guess, something along the lines of having two versions of a character sheet in the same character sheet. Something like tabs in your internet browser, or multiple spreadsheets in one spreadsheet file.

I was actually thinking about something like this for the DnD 3.5 sheet.

Common Templates (Feral, Mineral Warrior, Dark, Half Dragon) auto filling in bonuses to attributes once the check box is ticked/toggled? That way DM's can view it and see the stat changes/toggle on and understand why a characters attributes differ. Sounds Simple Simon I know but some DM's do ask over and over again where certain attribute bonuses come from.

I throw this out there with no knowledge of HTML- so ignore if this is over complicated and redundant.

redundant no, complicated yes....also possible copyright infringement. And then of course who decides what is a "common template"? Before you know it there's 400 checkboxes.

...Actually that's an exceptionally fair point.

Didn't even consider the implications of non OGL material.

Dammit. That would've made things easy too... There's the lazy aussie in me