Virtual tabletops - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Virtual tabletops

Virtual tabletops

Howdy all,

To make the most of limited time, i'm contemplating running a virtual tabletop session weekly over PBP.

Now, clearly, this can be done in any chat program. They're not ideal though. There are numerous options out there for more serious programs, but i don't necesarily want or need a map. When i do, a grid based system for close quarters battle would be advantageous.

The system's homebrew, for handling troops in tunnels & room-to-room, other times i'd like it able to handle small mechs in towns & city streets.

Anyone have some suggestions?

Might want to be careful here ya'll.

Just make sure you don't tread from "Using Maptools for Maps" to "Running a game on Maptools".

But yes, Maptools is GREAT software.

Running it in maptools is precisely what i was thinking about; i want to have all players looking at the same map. Being able to move tokens is a plus.

Chat can be in program (in character) and in another program (ooc)

I've just started playing fooling around with maptools, but would love to hear other ideas too.

I haven't gotten into it too much yet, and really don't know how applicable it would be to your situation... but have you checked out infrno.net?

Ah....Well be wary that you can't advertise a Map Tools game here at MW. Or plan one. It's a bit of a shame really. I don't want to advertise elsewhere for a maptools game.

Maptools has a built in chat (typing, not voice), built in dice rollers, line of sight tracking, and more!

You can get frameworks that people built for different games, so you can actually get rid of dice and character sheets outside of the program if you like.. I ran 4e Scales of War on Maptools till about module 4 or 5 as simply an internet game.. Meaning I was GMing at home in my underwear while my friends connected to the game and ran it that way.

I think you just can't advertise a VT game.. I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about one or planning one or hosting one here on MW... Just don't put an advertisement out.

umm, not sure if we're allowed to talk about other sites, but if you want to advertise a Maptools game, you could always try penandpapergames.com it's a great site and all, but not really into the PbPs so I have an account there for my VTT games, and here for my PbP games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchslasher View Post
Maptools has a built in chat (typing, not voice), built in dice rollers, line of sight tracking, and more!
If you want voice (and video), consider using Google+ Hangouts along with MapTools.

My group uses MapTool and G+ every week, and I love that set up.

Your opening statement is a bit confusing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirocco
To make the most of limited time, i'm contemplating running a virtual tabletop session weekly over PBP.
Are you planning on playing PbP here and supplementing the game with a weekly session via MapTool?